Re: [FJGRailroad] Conrail Fonda Local

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17, 2011
      Great shot John!!!!!

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 17, 2011
        I want to say htat it was YVOS-10.

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2011
          YVOS-1O ?? Y=yard, V=Mohawk-Hudson OS= Oswego according to CR schedules. What does the OS stand for? I know this was the symbol logic in late 80's for yard jobs but I am just guessing that they were using 2 letter orign codes for yard jobs in 1982. Would they have used AM for Amsterdam? Since I had no scanner back then I can only go from research as I never heard symbols.

          It might have been the local out of Amsterdam, not sure. I do know that there was a period of time in 1982 when the Conrail local was based out of Fonda. They would park at Agway. Page 131 of the CR Freight Schedule Feb 1, 1982 shows a WVFO-1 on duty 7:59 DE Sat/Sun, Amsterdam/Palantine & return. A new guide came out 8-1-1982 that does not list that local anymore so maybe it was back in Amsterdam by then.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 17, 2011
            You are correct....YVOS - 10 was the Oswego Local. Sorry. 50+ and begining to forget .......

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: jsesonske@...
            Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 01:34:05 +0000
            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Conrail Fonda Local

            YVOS-1O ?? Y=yard, V=Mohawk-Hudson OS= Oswego according to CR schedules. What does the OS stand for? I know this was the symbol logic in late 80's for yard jobs but I am just guessing that they were using 2 letter orign codes for yard jobs in 1982. Would they have used AM for Amsterdam? Since I had no scanner back then I can only go from research as I never heard symbols.

            It might have been the local out of Amsterdam, not sure. I do know that there was a period of time in 1982 when the Conrail local was based out of Fonda. They would park at Agway. Page 131 of the CR Freight Schedule Feb 1, 1982 shows a WVFO-1 on duty 7:59 DE Sat/Sun, Amsterdam/Palantine & return. A new guide came out 8-1-1982 that does not list that local anymore so maybe it was back in Amsterdam by then.

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

            > I want to say htat it was YVOS-10.
            >

            > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            > From: jsesonske@...
            > Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:39:03 +0000
            > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Conrail Fonda Local
            >

            > Here's a view of the Conrail local working the FJG interchange on a September morning in 1982. The cut of cars in the background covers the typical FJG's; a classic skin car, a lumber car, one of the ex PC cars and a DO alldoor (restenciled for CACV reporting marks.
            >
            > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=360709
            >
            > John

          • Mark Wilber
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17, 2011
              I also remember a conrail train VD-7 making drops.

              You are correct....YVOS - 10 was the Oswego Local. Sorry. 50+ and begining to forget .......

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: jsesonske@...
              Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 01:34:05 +0000

              YVOS-1O ?? Y=yard, V=Mohawk-Hudson OS= Oswego according to CR schedules. What does the OS stand for? I know this was the symbol logic in late 80's for yard jobs but I am just guessing that they were using 2 letter orign codes for yard jobs in 1982. Would they have used AM for Amsterdam? Since I had no scanner back then I can only go from research as I never heard symbols.

              It might have been the local out of Amsterdam, not sure. I do know that there was a period of time in 1982 when the Conrail local was based out of Fonda. They would park at Agway. Page 131 of the CR Freight Schedule Feb 1, 1982 shows a WVFO-1 on duty 7:59 DE Sat/Sun, Amsterdam/Palantine & return. A new guide came out 8-1-1982 that does not list that local anymore so maybe it was back in Amsterdam by then.

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

              > I want to say htat it was YVOS-10.
              >

              > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > From: jsesonske@...
              > Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:39:03 +0000
              > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Conrail Fonda Local
              >

              > Here's a view of the Conrail local working the FJG interchange on a September morning in 1982. The cut of cars in the background covers the typical FJG's; a classic skin car, a lumber car, one of the ex PC cars and a DO alldoor (restenciled for CACV reporting marks.
              >
              > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=360709
              >
              > John

            • John
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
                I looked up VD-7 and it was an early Conrail symbol (carryover from Penn Central)used prior to the alpha symbols Conrail later used. It ran from Selkirk to Dewitt serving all the small yards in between including both Amsterdam and Fonda.

                Mark, did you guys ever work Fonda the same time as the Amsterdam switcher or a road job was dropping or were you guys usually in the yard when they were not.

                John

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
                  We've worked Fonda yard before while Conrail was working there.There were times that we weren't permitted into the yard due to they might have been working in the west end of the yard.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
                    Ive seen as many as three drop of cars in one day in Fonda.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
                      That begs the question, How did you guys get into the Fonda Yard? I take it from your comment that you had to call someone to get permission to enter the yard.

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mwilber2001@...
                      Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:26:44 -0700

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
                        Mark,

                        Did you guys talk with the Conrail dispatch on your cab radios?  How did you know you weren't permitted to enter the yard?  What was the normal procedure for permission?

                        Gino

                        --
                        http://fjgrr.org
                        http://ginosrailpage.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                          We didnt talk  to the Conrail dispatcher for permission.We talked with our dispatcher if there were any questions.Mostly during the day we would stop in front of the Fonda office and talk with the Yardmaster for permission.At night or during the day if the yardmaster wasnt around,we were on our own (couldnt do that now days).There was a wooden box attached to the office that would have our waybills or instructions for our pickup or our drop off.Our interchanges were mostly done on the west end of the yard.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                            I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt sharp thirty years later.

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mwilber2001@...
                            Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:26:44 -0700

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                              Mark,

                              Great info on how things worked in Fonda. Thanks for sharing.

                              As long as your digging into your memory were you around when 103 was painted. Was that painted in the Gloversville shop? I know the 103 came to Gloversville unpainted but then it showed up painted one day. Was wondering where the work got done.

                              Thanks

                              John

                              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                              > I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we
                              > had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear
                              > the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we
                              > were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt
                              > sharp thirty years later.

                            • Mark Wilber
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                                That was painted in the paint shop in Gloversville.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                                  There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mwilber2001@...
                                  Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                                    Yep,first name was Harry, forgot his last name.He was in charge of Fonda and Amsterdam yards.

                                    There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

                                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: mwilber2001@...
                                    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                                      Harry Dumar!

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: mwilber2001@...
                                      Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                                        Thats it! Harry Dumar.  Is he still alive?  If so,he has to be 90 years old.

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: mwilber2001@...
                                        Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011