Washout Road

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
      Hi guys,

      Someone emailed me recently about the name "Washout Road."  I seemed to remember some discussion on the group about it and did a search.  I found a post from Dr. Paul Larner about the catastrophe which inspired the name 'Washout Road.'  Here is the post from way-back-when....

      A while back during the discussion on the Washout Road area someone posed the question as to whether the substation was there at the time of the "washout".  I found an article from the 12/16/34 issue of the Knickerbocker Press which gives the history of the event under the title of "Cloudburst of '85 Recalled by Schenectady Old Timers".

      According to the story, the "cataclysmic demonstration of the elements" occurred at 4:30 PM on August 12th, 1885.  The localized storm "burst over an area six miles square", causing a tremendous amount of water to flow down the Arendt Kill (Walton's Creek)toward the Mohawk.  The storm itself lasted less than an hour, but the debris it caused to flow down the creek completely blocked off the twin stone culvert carrying the creek under the NYC&HRR 4 track main line, causing it to collapse and the tracks to be left "hanging like a suspension bridge with the ties still attached over the flood" over a "grinning 65 to 75 foot chasm".  The story goes on to describe the disruption of the rail service until a temporary trestle could be erected, with passengers in the meantime having to transfer from one train to another around the gap by transversing a boardwalk through the gap. The article notes that "when the Fonda, Johnstown, and Gloversville electric line to Schenectady was completed years later, it maintained a regular station in the former channel of the little stream and called it Washout."  Since the F,J,& G line didn't go in until 1903, the substation would not have been there at the time

      this "catastrophe was launched on the earth."

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
        Gino,
        I posted the Washout Road item on May 3, 2003.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2011
          Yes, it was from 2003.  Sorry Jerry, I thought Paul posted it!  No disrespect intended....

          Gino

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2011
            None taken, Gino.  Certainly was a sensationalized story in the paper and a very interesting illustration with it.
            Jerry