Re: [FJGRailroad] Coal yard at Amsterdam

  • Charlie Vosburgh
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011

      Paul:  I finaly got the maps from Utica of Amsterdam for the year 1901.  It shows a coal shed off the Kellogg branch track capy. of 9 cars.  It would be in the location of what is now the four lane Rt. 5.  It is not listed as to who owned it but I don't think it was owned by the railroad.  There were 2 other coal yards in downtown Amsterdam at that time near the old location of the station and freight house.  Neither would have served the 4 track main.  St Johnsville had a coal deck to serve the main line at that time.  There's a picture of that in Staufer's book" Thorougbreds" on page 61.  The map for the Kellogg branch is also from 1901 and at that time, the track to the upper mills had not been built.  I will see about making a copy of these maps for you.  Charlie
      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] KAMX Tankcars

      Hi Jerry,

      Thanks for the help/ Wooden silos, missed that... guess I have to
      change texture on them, I have them as concrete now.

      Paul :-)

      On 01/03/2011 12:08 AM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
      > Paul, I never said I could type... That should be 1920, not 1924.
      > They purchased the 10 cars new; I was told that the 3 dome car was
      > used, however. I'll check the later revisions of the maps and see if
      > there is any additional trackage visible. I know at some point they
      > added the spurs down along the creek to the powerhouse as indicated
      > on the aerial map I provided previously. Also, at some point the K&M
      > tracks along Church Street extended farther down the hill - there
      > were two concrete bumpers just past the shipping scale house but up
      > at Church Street level, and the other line along the scalehouse.
      > I'll see if I can determine when the silos went in from the map
      > revisions - and the silos are wooden, not concrete, just like old
      > barn silos with the metal hoops and turnbuckles. Jerry

      No virus found in this message.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hi Charles,

        Thanks!

        Anyone have any idea when the original Amsterdam Station was replaced?
        From the Sanborn maps it appears there was a larger station cross the
        tracks and just west of the freight house at the end of Railroad Street.
        Railroad Street in now under what appears to be a shopping mall, and
        the station property looks like a bit of a park.

        ... and remember, rough ideas are better the none!

        Paul :-)

        On 03/03/2011 4:14 PM, Charlie Vosburgh wrote:
        > Paul: I finaly got the maps from Utica of Amsterdam for the year
        > 1901. It shows a coal shed off the Kellogg branch track capy. of 9
        > cars. It would be in the location of what is now the four lane Rt.
        > 5. It is not listed as to who owned it but I don't think it was
        > owned by the railroad. There were 2 other coal yards in downtown
        > Amsterdam at that time near the old location of the station and
        > freight house. Neither would have served the 4 track main. St
        > Johnsville had a coal deck to serve the main line at that time.
        > There's a picture of that in Staufer's book" Thorougbreds" on page
        > 61. The map for the Kellogg branch is also from 1901 and at that
        > time, the track to the upper mills had not been built. I will see
        > about making a copy of these maps for you. Charlie
      • Jerry Snyder
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2011
          Paul,
          The first purpose built Amsterdam station went up in 1867 on the east side of the foot of Railroad Street on the north side of the tracks.  Up until then people waited in the nearby hotels and businesses to catch the train there (and since it's Amsterdam there were several nearby taverns that served as waiting rooms also).  Railroad Street isn't under the mall, it's just a bit west of it.  It's now the ramp leading up from the eastbound Route 5 arterial to Main Street, immediately on the west side of the northbound ramp descending from the Route 30 river bridge to Church Street.  The passenger station on the south side of the tracks was built in 1899 at the staggering cost of $60,000, wedged in between the tracks and the Chuctanunda Gas Light Company, the local plant for the production of manufactured gas.  That plant went in in 1867.  Just east of the station was the Railway Express building and then the freight station.  The 1899 station was torn down in the early 1970's when new river bridge made its landing on the north side of the river.  The station was just west of where Railroad Street would have been if it were extended south across the tracks to the river.  That area is now an open field to the west of the river bridge and slated to become Phase 2 of the Riverlink Park if "they" can ever figure out how to pay for it.  When the 1899 station was closed down the new Amsterdam "station" (and I use that term very generously) opened at the far west end of the city (where the 4-lane highway starts up again) in December of 1970.
          Jerry

          Anyone have any idea when the original Amsterdam Station was replaced?
          From the Sanborn maps it appears there was a larger station cross the