New Company Logos

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5 5:56 PM
      I posted some new artwork using the FJG colors and diamond theme.
      Take
      a look and let me know if you like them. The line style is a little
      thin but the art work looks good on my machine. Unfortunately I am
      still not able to post anything that views directly on my browser,
      but
      has to download first. I had mentioned this to Aaron a few weeks ago,
      as a project I was going to do for my own enjoyment.
      Saul
    • cf76triumph
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2002
        For anyone who hasn't looked at the new company logos I posted last
        year, take a look and imagine modern engines plying the rails from
        Fonda to Broadalbin and even Northville with dozens of on line
        industries. Sort of reminds me when I was a kid in Sacandaga Park
        during the summer in the late forties, things hadn't changed that much
        since the rails had been pulled up 17 or 18 years earlier. The FJG
        motor stages still ran 4 times a day and the station agent office was
        open, You could buy a ticket to anywhere in the US. After the motor
        stage quit, the mail would come up by truck on the same schedule. We
        actually could check for mail 4 times daily. We had box 147 in the
        post office. The post mistress was Miss Gifford, and us kids could
        sometimes earn a nickel or a dime helping her to drag the bags into
        the post office, since the FJG driver would just drop them on the
        platform.
        Regards,
        Saul
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2002
          Also checking the post from a year or so ago. Roland I believe added some
          insight into how the Sacandaga job was covered. If I recall correctly
          (Roland please correct and add) the agents job at Sacandaga was a plum job
          for one of the clerks from Gloversville. Along with the job went a place to
          stay for the season and of course the agent made a percent off the express
          shipments.

          PKL

          >From: "cf76triumph" <skalbfel@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] New Company Logos
          >Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 02:01:41 -0000
          >
          >For anyone who hasn't looked at the new company logos I posted last
          >year, take a look and imagine modern engines plying the rails from
          >Fonda to Broadalbin and even Northville with dozens of on line
          >industries. Sort of reminds me when I was a kid in Sacandaga Park
          >during the summer in the late forties, things hadn't changed that much
          >since the rails had been pulled up 17 or 18 years earlier. The FJG
          >motor stages still ran 4 times a day and the station agent office was
          >open, You could buy a ticket to anywhere in the US. After the motor
          >stage quit, the mail would come up by truck on the same schedule. We
          >actually could check for mail 4 times daily. We had box 147 in the
          >post office. The post mistress was Miss Gifford, and us kids could
          >sometimes earn a nickel or a dime helping her to drag the bags into
          >the post office, since the FJG driver would just drop them on the
          >platform.
          >Regards,
          >Saul

        • Roland Bowers
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2002
            Paul,

            When I first worked for the F. J. & G. in 1939. I worked as a clerk in the
            Auditing Dept. Velma Venner also was a clerk there.

            Jack R. Hart, was at least 80, some say he was 85, was a retired New York
            Central telegrapher who was once one of the managers at Grand Central
            Station.
            Hart was the established Agent at Mayfield. Mayfield was the lowest revenue
            producing entity on the entire road.

            During the months of June, July and August the Sacandaga Park station
            opened.
            Jack Hart acted as Agent at this station during these months and Velma
            Venner ran the golf course. Both jobs included a free cottage rental and
            other perks. I would assume acting Agent at Mayfield in place of Hart during
            these months.
            The Mayfield station was also the Railway Express Agency. I received 10% of
            all express business for handling their business. Any express business in
            the Sacandaga station was handled by Ervin Angell, the Northville agent, so
            Hart got no emolument from the REA at the Sacandaga station.