KAMX Tankcars

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2011
      Hi All,

      Yesterday I cam across a listing or KAMX reporting marks that were owned
      by Kellogg and Miller and used on their tankcars into the late '30s. In
      1938 the reporting marks changed ownership to Bisbee Linseed Co, the new
      owners of the Kellogg Linseed Mill.

      Would anyone know if Bisbee took the time to repaint the ex-Kellogg
      tankcars? Anyone have a picture of the cars if they were repainted?

      Paul :-)
    • Jerry Snyder
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2011
        Hi Paul,
        I have never seen a picture of a Bisbee marked car in anything I've come across.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
          Thanks Jerry,

          Would you or anyone happen to know how many cars they had, I see several
          in one of the shots but can't find any information other then the
          reporting marks on line.

          Paul :-)

          On 25/02/2011 11:18 PM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
          > Hi Paul,
          > I have never seen a picture of a Bisbee marked car in anything I've come across.
          > Jerry
        • Jerry Snyder
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
            Hi Paul,
            Kelloggs & Miller had 10 of the single dome cars, KAMX1 -10, all identical.  They also had a three compartment car which they purchased later, but I'm still trying to find a photo of that one.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
              Hi Jerry,

              Thanks! Compartment cars... any idea the number of domes?

              Paul :-)

              On 26/02/2011 4:00 PM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
              > Hi Paul, Kelloggs& Miller had 10 of the single dome cars, KAMX1 -10,
              > all identical. They also had a three compartment car which they
              > purchased later, but I'm still trying to find a photo of that one.
              > Jerry
            • Jerry Snyder
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
                Paul,
                One three compartment car with 3 domes.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2011
                  Thanks Jerry.

                  Paul :-)

                  On 26/02/2011 4:40 PM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
                  > Paul,
                  > One three compartment car with 3 domes.
                  > Jerry
                • Jerry Snyder
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                  Paul,
                  I dug these maps out for you - thought they may help.  They are from 1926 - I have not had a chance to compare them to the 1958 ones yet to see what may have changed in the later years.  There is also a section of the ACN to the east of the map showing the K&M plant (with the Turner construction, lumber yard, and coal yard) that I was not able to get this time but can do in a couple weeks.  BTW, K&M received their 10 tank cars in August of 1924 - found the newspaper article (but nothing later on the 3 dome car).
                  Jerry

                  On 26/02/2011 4:40 PM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
                  > Paul,
                  > One three compartment car with 3 domes.
                  > Jerry

                • Jerry Snyder
                  Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                    Apologies to all.  I did not mean to send the maps to the entire group being that they are so large.  Too quick on the send button.
                    Jerry

                    Message 10 of 15 , Feb 27, 2011
                      Worked fine for me Jerry.  Four attachments easy to open;  good information.

                      Paul

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: handyman756@...
                      Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:04:06 -0800

                      Message 11 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                        Hi Jerry,

                        Thanks a bunch, haven't see the first map showing the Sanford mill
                        before. Would you happen to have a later version showing more track,
                        trying to figure out when the nine concrete silos where built.

                        I wonder if K&M bought the tankcars slightly used then, the builder's
                        date on the cars is 1920.

                        Paul :-)

                        Message 12 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                          Good morning Paul,

                          When using the Sanborn maps it's important to bear in mind their purpose delineate structures, their structual composition, relative location with regard to other structures and safety or prevention accoutrements for the purpose of insurance ratings.  They did not attempt to accurately represent the adjacent railroad track layout other than to indicate its existence.  As I found with the FJ&G, Rutland and CV, tracks inside of building would be properly shown due to their influence on fire safety.  Outside tracks would be indicated, too, however the presence and location of switches (or lack thereof) cannot be considered to be accurate, only illustrative.

                          PKL

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: p.charlie@...
                          Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:54:30 -0500

                          Message 13 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                            Hi Paul,

                            Understood! What I was looking for was building information. The
                            larger complexes are divided up into smaller components and each
                            component is labeled indicating it's purpose, warehouse, shipping,
                            receiving and so on. When I'm making up my map I've been using that
                            information to designate locations to spot cars at. The only Sanborn
                            map I have of the Canyon area is so old it only shows the complex at
                            less then half of the current size, was hoping to see something a bit
                            more complete as there are about 14 places to spot cars and I have no
                            idea what should be spotted where.

                            Paul :-)

                            On 28/02/2011 7:48 AM, Paul Larner wrote:

                            > Good morning Paul,
                            >
                            > When using the Sanborn maps it's important to bear in mind their
                            > purpose delineate structures, their structual composition, relative
                            > location with regard to other structures and safety or prevention
                            > accoutrements for the purpose of insurance ratings. They did not
                            > attempt to accurately represent the adjacent railroad track layout
                            > other than to indicate its existence. As I found with the FJ&G,
                            > Rutland and CV, tracks inside of building would be properly shown due
                            > to their influence on fire safety. Outside tracks would be
                            > indicated, too, however the presence and location of switches (or
                            > lack thereof) cannot be considered to be accurate, only
                            > illustrative.
                            >
                            > PKL
                          • Jerry Snyder
                            Message 14 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                              Paul,
                              I never said I could type...  That should be 1920, not 1924.  They purchased the 10 cars new; I was told that the 3 dome car was used, however.  I'll check the later revisions of the maps and see if there is any additional trackage visible.  I know at some point they added the spurs down along the creek to the powerhouse as indicated on the aerial map I provided previously.  Also, at some point the K&M tracks along Church Street extended farther down the hill - there were two concrete bumpers just past the shipping scale house but up at Church Street level, and the other line along the scalehouse.  I'll see if I can determine when the silos went in from the map revisions - and the silos are wooden, not concrete, just like old barn silos with the metal hoops and turnbuckles.

                              Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1, 2011
                                Hi Jerry,

                                Thanks for the help/ Wooden silos, missed that... guess I have to
                                change texture on them, I have them as concrete now.

                                Paul :-)