Re: Old Irons

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hey Aaron,

      I still have a Beta VCR, 8-track player (with 8-tracks) and I
      just gave away my Commodore 64 because I couldn't find ribbons
      for my printer anymore...

      On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
      engines?

      Gino

      ----------

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
        >On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
        >engines?

        Not that I'm aware of. I don't even think coal-burners could be converted
        to oil-burners.

        >Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
        >Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

        I think I may have a list somewhere at home, but I'm not sure I can put my
        finger on it over vacation.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
          Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
          during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
            >Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil
            (bunker-C)
            >during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

            Hadn't heard of that; thanks for telling me.

            -Aaron
          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
              > From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
              >
              > Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
              > during the forties because it was more cost efficient.
              >
              > Paul

              That's what I meant, not diesel!

              Gino
            • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                I can check out my stuff Peter, but I think most of their steamers
                were scrapped. I'll have to look at home many were sold. Those
                I couldn't tell you what happened to them. I'm sure Aaron has some
                info on this...

                Gino

              • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                    As far as I can tell, all the FJ&G steam locomotives are scrapped. Parts
                    from the S2s were re-used on some NYS&W equipment. The 44-ton #30 is still
                    in operation on the Burlington Junction Railway in Burlington, Iowa. The
                    gas car, 340, was eventually sold to some sort of museum in Manitoba but I
                    can't find any record of it still existing. That's about all I can mention;
                    of course leaving out other equipment that we've already discussed on-list.