RE: [FJGRailroad] Crossing Gates

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2011
      Thanks Jerry, thanks a great idea!

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: handyman756@...
      Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:59:49 -0800
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Crossing Gates

      Joe,
      What's the voltage you're applying with the transformer? I assume we're talking a DC output (the light bulb doesn't care if it's AC or DC).  It may be as simple as wiring a automobile blinker unit in series with the light.  These are usually little round "cans" that plug into a socket on the fuse panel, available at any parts store (I just picked up one at Advance Auto Parts for my truck for about $5).  Run one wire from the transformer to the one lead of the bulb, run the other wire to one prong on the flasher, then from the other prong to the other light lead.  When the light is on the current flow heats up a bimetallic strip in the flasher until it expands and opens the switch.  The light goes out. When the strip cools off it closes the switch, turning the light back on. The more current the light draws the faster it will blink.
      Jerry