Amsterdam Enginehouse?

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
      Hi All,

      Slightly off topic here but I'll claim if there was an NYC enginehouse
      it might have been close to the FJ&G electric route.

      As you may be aware I'm working on a Microsoft Train Sim route, trying
      to reproduce the Kellogg Branch. Gino, Paul Larner and Jerry Snyder
      have been helping me off list but I've run into something that I haven't
      found an answer for, and NYC enginehouse. Paul remembers a building up
      near the linseed oil plant he thinks was an enginehouse. Gino sent
      along Sanborn Insurance maps that do not show anything in that area that
      might have been an enginehouse, or even a track that might have been or
      become and enginehouse, Gino sent several years covering the late 1800s
      to 1950.

      Jerry sent along a photo showing an 0-8-0 sitting in front of a water
      column near Morris Street, so we know they could have taken on water in
      Amsterdam. Haven't found anything that would make you think they had a
      coaling facility in Amsterdam but the Sanborn maps end at Elk Street, so
      there's still a few blocks to the west end of the yard and the yard
      itself that might have been the location of an enginehouse or coaling
      facility... or... maybe the train originated somewhere east of Amsterdam
      and the train ran on the mainline to Amsterdam, switched Amsterdam
      through the day, then returned on the mainline to where they started the
      day (that would be Selkirk today but not sure Selkirk was open back in
      the late 1930s).

      Anyway, if anyone knows one way or the other if there was an enginehouse
      in Amsterdam or if there was some place they could take on coal there,
      or even if there was no enginehouse or coal facilities used by the NYC
      would be nice to here from you.

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
      Paul,

      If the enginehouse you're looking for is a traditional style roundhouse with turntable, not sure you'll find one on the AC&N.  The building I recall was rectangular with either one or two doors large enough to handle a locomotive.   There was a track to it; one of the photos I located shows a push car on that track - unfortunately I didn't turn and get a photo of the building.  Jerry, you might remember the building, built of stone and/or brick and very near the location of the present Dunkin Donuts.  There was a quite tall retaining wall between the street and the track level. IIRC one wall of the building was awfully near or part of the retaining wall and I believe the roof was at the level or only a small bit above the street level.  THese recollections are more than forty years past.

      Attached are images of the push car, the retaining wall and my Lithuanian friend whose father grew up with Izzy Demski.  Are there not urban renewal photos of the old buildings in that upper Church St. area?

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

      Message 3 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
        Hi Paul,

        I'm good with anything that could house an engine overnight! I see my
        ISP stripped the image you sent before it made it here, would you be so
        kind as to send a copy direct?

        Paul :-)

        Message 4 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
        Paul, et al.

        Changed the format and saved as jpeg. THis should open okay.

        PKL

        > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        > From: p.charlie@...
        > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:52:47 -0500
        > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Amsterdam Enginehouse?
        >
        > Hi Paul,
        >
        > I'm good with anything that could house an engine overnight! I see my
        > ISP stripped the image you sent before it made it here, would you be so
        > kind as to send a copy direct?
        >
        > Paul :-)
        >
        > On 10/02/2011 2:02 PM, Paul Larner wrote:
        > >
        > > Paul,
        > >
        > > If the enginehouse you're looking for is a traditional style
        > > roundhouse with turntable, not sure you'll find one on the AC&N. The
        > > building I recall was rectangular with either one or two doors large
        > > enough to handle a locomotive. There was a track to it; one of the
        > > photos I located shows a push car on that track - unfortunately I
        > > didn't turn and get a photo of the building. Jerry, you might
        > > remember the building, built of stone and/or brick and very near the
        > > location of the present Dunkin Donuts. There was a quite tall
        > > retaining wall between the street and the track level. IIRC one wall
        > > of the building was awfully near or part of the retaining wall and I
        > > believe the roof was at the level or only a small bit above the
        > > street level. THese recollections are more than forty years past.
        > >
        > > Attached are images of the push car, the retaining wall and my
        > > Lithuanian friend whose father grew up with Izzy Demski. Are there
        > > not urban renewal photos of the old buildings in that upper Church
        > > St. area?
        > >
        > > PKL

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Charlie Vosburgh
        Message 5 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
          Hello Paul;  You might not find an engine house in Amsterdam as the line in its hayday had 2 0-8-0 switchers working around the clock so the need for one would be slim.  That's according to the story of the Kellogg branch by Jack Wright in the Central Headlight, fourth quarter 1989.  Also, I just contacted the NRHS in Utica about maps of the Amsterdam area and they believe there are some and will look further next week and let me know.  If so, I will get copies made and let you know.  Charlie
          Changed the format and saved as jpeg. THis should open okay.

          PKL

          > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          > From: p.charlie@...
          > Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:52:47 -0500
          > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Amsterdam Enginehouse?
          >
          > Hi Paul,
          >
          > I'm good with anything that could house an engine overnight! I see my
          > ISP stripped the image you sent before it made it here, would you be so
          > kind as to send a copy direct?
          >
          > Paul :-)
          >
          > On 10/02/2011 2:02 PM, Paul Larner wrote:
          > >
          > > Paul,
          > >
          > > If the enginehouse you're looking for is a traditional style
          > > roundhouse with turntable, not sure you'll find one on the AC&N. The
          > > building I recall was rectangular with either one or two doors large
          > > enough to handle a locomotive. There was a track to it; one of the
          > > photos I located shows a push car on that track - unfortunately I
          > > didn't turn and get a photo of the building. Jerry, you might
          > > remember the building, built of stone and/or brick and very near the
          > > location of the present Dunkin Donuts. There was a quite tall
          > > retaining wall between the street and the track level. IIRC one wall
          > > of the building was awfully near or part of the retaining wall and I
          > > believe the roof was at the level or only a small bit above the
          > > street level. THese recollections are more than forty years past.
          > >
          > > Attached are images of the push car, the retaining wall and my
          > > Lithuanian friend whose father grew up with Izzy Demski. Are there
          > > not urban renewal photos of the old buildings in that upper Church
          > > St. area?
          > >
          > > PKL

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          No virus found in this message.

          Message 6 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
            Hi Charlie,

            Thanks, working around the clock would render an enginehouse a little
            useless!

            While going through a 1911 Sanborn map I did come across a "water tower"
            just east of the switch that takes you either to Mohawk Carpets or the
            Canyon. I assume this might be a water column the same as the one off
            Morris Street... that leaves coal.

            All maps are more then welcome and very appreciated. Another neat
            project that I've never seen in person but is more then worth the effort
            of doing right.

            Paul :-)

            Message 7 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
              The Kellog's Branch is serviced by South Schenectady Yard these days.  I think they also serviced it in the old days, but Selkirk has been around for quite some time.Early 20's perhaps?

              Gino

              --
              http://fjgrr.org
              http://ginosrailpage.com
              Message 8 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
                It used to be that the South Schenectady Switcher worked west to little Falls two days a week, the Cushing Branch as needed and made a move to the Rotterdam Industrial Park daily

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: fjgrailroad@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:39:28 -0500
                Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Amsterdam Enginehouse?

                Message 9 of 24 , Feb 10, 2011
                  The Kellog's Branch gets service Monday, Weds. and Friday now.  I think an occassional Saturday too.

                  Gino

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: fjgrailroad@...
                  Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:39:28 -0500

                  Message 10 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                    Joe; That switcher derailed on the Kellog branch last Thursday with two covered hoppers at the bottom of the grade near the main line.  A Winchester and Western car overturned but has been uprighted.  The GP-38 and cars were still there as of this Wednesday and may not be on the track yet.  Snow covers the track so I can't tell for sure.  A story was in the Recorder Friday.  Also, the Crainsville FD put out a engine fire the week before on the main line near there.  Charlie

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: fjgrailroad@...
                    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:39:28 -0500

                    --
                    http://fjgrr.org
                    http://ginosrailpage.com
                    http://ginostrolleypage.com
                    http://ginosmusicservice.com

                  • Jerry Snyder
                    Message 11 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                      Paul,
                      I have not been able to find any record in text, map, or newspaper that mentions an enginhouse anywhere in Amsterdam.  I am 99.9% certain that there was not one at the Kelloggs and Miller plant, but have not had time to go through all of my old K&M photos yet.  I know tracks went through the incoming seed scale storage warehouse, through a covered section of the complex between buildings, and through the outgoing oil scale building. I will forward you the relevant photos offline (or I can put up a gallary so others can also see - what say the group since off topic?). I will be at History and Archives in Fonda today and see what else I can unearth for you.
                      Jerry

                      Message 12 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                        Hi Jerry,

                        Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

                        Paul :-)

                        On 11/02/2011 7:06 AM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
                        > Paul, I have not been able to find any record in text, map, or
                        > newspaper that mentions an enginhouse anywhere in Amsterdam. I am
                        > 99.9% certain that there was not one at the Kelloggs and Miller
                        > plant, but have not had time to go through all of my old K&M photos
                        > yet. I know tracks went through the incoming seed scale storage
                        > warehouse, through a covered section of the complex between
                        > buildings, and through the outgoing oil scale building. I will
                        > forward you the relevant photos offline (or I can put up a gallary so
                        > others can also see - what say the group since off topic?). I will be
                        > at History and Archives in Fonda today and see what else I can
                        > unearth for you. Jerry
                      • Gino's RailPage
                        Message 13 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                          They have trouble in the winter with derails pushing up the hill.

                          Message 14 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                            Look at the description for the group Jerry! It includes the ACN!

                            Gino

                            Message 15 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011
                              Yes, Jerry.  Please put them up.

                              PKL

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              From: fjgrailroad@...
                              Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:43:20 -0500

                              Look at the description for the group Jerry! It includes the ACN!

                              Gino

                              Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                              >Paul,
                              >I have not been able to find any record in text, map, or newspaper that mentions an enginhouse anywhere in Amsterdam.  I am 99.9% certain that there was not one at the Kelloggs and Miller plant, but have not had time to go through all of my old K&M photos yet.  I know tracks went through the incoming seed scale storage warehouse, through a covered section of the complex between buildings, and through the outgoing oil scale building. I will forward you the relevant photos offline (or I can put up a gallary so others can also see - what say the group since off topic?). I will be at History and Archives in Fonda today and see what else I can unearth for you.
                              >Jerry

                            • Gordon Davis
                              Message 16 of 24 , Feb 11, 2011

                                Not an engine house question.
                                When the Central displaced its West Side street running with elevated track they dispersed their shrouded Shays.  Two of them went to Auburn.  Perchance did any get a trial on Amsterdam's hill line?
                                Gordon

                              • Jerry Snyder
                                Message 17 of 24 , Feb 12, 2011
                                  Gentlemen,
                                  I just posted an album of photos of the ACN (Kellogg Branch) in the area around the Kellogg and Miller Linseed Oil Mill.  Most of these photos are from 1923 and were taken for a 100 year anniversary booklet put out by K&M.  I was able to borrow and scan the original retouched photos used in the booklet several years ago from the current owner of the property.  The ACN started out as a private line built by K&M to support their mill operation so it's only fitting that the album start out with their photos.  If anyone is interested in a bit more of the mill's history, check out http://www.lostlandmarks.org/kellog.html.
                                  Jerry

                                  Look at the description for the group Jerry! It includes the ACN!

                                  Gino

                                  Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                                  >Paul,
                                  >I have not been able to find any record in text, map, or newspaper that mentions an enginhouse anywhere in Amsterdam.  I am 99.9% certain that there was not one at the Kelloggs and Miller plant, but have not had time to go through all of my old K&M photos yet.  I know tracks went through the incoming seed scale storage warehouse, through a covered section of the complex between buildings, and through the outgoing oil scale building. I will forward you the relevant photos offline (or I can put up a gallary so others can also see - what say the group since off topic?). I will be at History and Archives in Fonda today and see what else I can unearth for you.
                                  >Jerry

                                • handyman756
                                  Message 18 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                    Paul,
                                    I spent a good part of Friday digging through the archives in Fonda. If there was ever an engine house in Amsterdam (at least within the city limits) it isn't reflected on any of the maps (unless it was pre-1895) or listed in any of the city directories. Some of the later maps extend all the way to the eastern city limits, several blocks beyond Elk Street, but not as far as the yard and AC&N connection to the NYC. A review of the 1923 Kelloggs & Miller photos and maps does not show any structures other than the scale houses with tracks running into them. As far as coaling facilities, there were several commercial coal houses located along the length of the NYC in the city but no indication of a railroad coaling facility.
                                    Jerry

                                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                                    > Paul,
                                    > I have not been able to find any record in text, map, or newspaper that mentions an enginhouse anywhere in Amsterdam.  I am 99.9% certain that there was not one at the Kelloggs and Miller plant, but have not had time to go through all of my old K&M photos yet.  I know tracks went through the incoming seed scale storage warehouse, through a covered section of the complex between buildings, and through the outgoing oil scale building. I will forward you the relevant photos offline (or I can put up a gallary so others can also see - what say the group since off topic?). I will be at History and Archives in Fonda today and see what else I can unearth for you.
                                    > Jerry

                                  • Jerry Snyder
                                    Message 19 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                      Paul,
                                      Based on the height of the retaining wall I would say that the push car is probably on the loading track, east of the closed area between the seedhouse and Building 1.  The last time I was poking around at K&M a couple years ago there was still a push car sitting there with a small horizontal tank mounted on it - may be the same one!
                                      Jerry

                                      Message 20 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                        Hi Jerry,

                                        First off, thanks for uploading the ACN photos, some I've seen before,
                                        many not. They will come in handy when I start modeling the mill in a
                                        week or so.

                                        I did have a question about one photo that said the last linseed oil was
                                        shipped out in 1946... I was under the impression they stopped
                                        production in 1938 and in the 40s the mill became an oil distribution
                                        facility... oil, as in motor oil or maybe gasoline. Which date would be
                                        correct?

                                        The lack of a coaling facility is getting to be less of a surprise,
                                        there were a few "coaling facilities" on the CN that were merely an OCS
                                        hopper on a siding that they pulled up beside and coal was shoved from
                                        the hopper to the tender... maybe that's the case here.

                                        Paul :-)

                                        On 13/02/2011 1:19 PM, handyman756 wrote:
                                        > Paul, I spent a good part of Friday digging through the archives in
                                        > Fonda. If there was ever an engine house in Amsterdam (at least
                                        > within the city limits) it isn't reflected on any of the maps (unless
                                        > it was pre-1895) or listed in any of the city directories. Some of
                                        > the later maps extend all the way to the eastern city limits, several
                                        > blocks beyond Elk Street, but not as far as the yard and AC&N
                                        > connection to the NYC. A review of the 1923 Kelloggs& Miller photos
                                        > and maps does not show any structures other than the scale houses
                                        > with tracks running into them. As far as coaling facilities, there
                                        > were several commercial coal houses located along the length of the
                                        > NYC in the city but no indication of a railroad coaling facility.
                                        > Jerry
                                      • Jerry Snyder
                                        Message 21 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                          Hi Paul,
                                          Kelloggs and Miller sold out the business in Amsterdam, along with their other facilities around the country, to Bisbee Linseed Oil in 1937.  Bisbee operated the facility until 1948, but during the last two years used it only as a receiving and shipping mill for their other plants in Philadelphia and Chicago Heights as supplies of flaxseed were insufficient at an economical price to allow oil production here.  The last oil produced in Amsterdam shipped out in 1946. (If anyone ever comes acros a Bisbee gallon can with an angry bee on the label, please let me know.) The facility sat idle for 4 years until it was purchased by Slezak Brothers, heating oil distributors, in 1952.  They used several of the old linseed oil tanks for fuel oil storage, and rented out storage and warehouse space to several small businesses over the years.  The Slezak family still owns the property.

                                          Message 22 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                            Hi Jerry,

                                            OK, that sound good, mid'40s works much better in MSTS. When was the
                                            last FJ&G trolley to Schenectady... I have employee's Timetable 100 here
                                            and the electric schedule is still in it. The date on the timetable is
                                            Sunday, September 26, 1954.

                                            Paul :-)

                                            Message 23 of 24 , Feb 13, 2011
                                              Paul,

                                              Car No. 176, the last interurban car to run on the FJ&G, left the Gloversville car barn at 10:20 p.m. June 27, 1938 for its scheduled 10:30 p.m. departure from Main and Fulton Streets. The return trip from Schenectady commenced at 12:30 a.m., arrived in the Gloversville car barn at 2:07 on June 28, 1938 when the power was shut off forever.  At 4:50 a.m. June 28th buses replaced the interurbans.  The last scheduled FJ&G bus operated April 22, 1956.

                                              "Movements" on the FJ&G always operated as "trains" whether conducted on rail or highway (bus or truck).  This is the misunderstanding you receive from ETT No. 100.

                                              PKL

                                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: p.charlie@...
                                              Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:24:27 -0500

                                              Message 24 of 24 , Feb 14, 2011
                                                Hi Paul,

                                                That's the little tidbit I've been missing all these years... Buses
                                                operating as Trains! Sure started to wonder when I say three "Trains"
                                                departing downtown Amsterdam, all heading east with only a three minute
                                                separation between trains!

                                                So, guess I'm shooting for the spring of 1938 at the latest.

                                                Paul :-)