Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 8, 2011
      OK, I thought it went down the hill at one time or another and couldn't believe the grade they had
      to manage...

      On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

      What ascends can also descends; my mind was riding one of the east bound trips to Rockton Jct.  The line went both up and down Vrooman.  The magnetic brakes used in Amsterdam were originally required because of the Market Street hill.  All Amsterdam "city" cars were equipped with the magnetic brakes.  Vrooman Ave line wasn't constructed until 1911.  Shortly after, can't recall off the top of my head, the line was relocated to use Forbes and Lark Sts., thereby avoiding the lower part of the grade.  IIRC, you can see lclearly where the tracks made the turn into or from Forbes onto Vrooman.  Men were employed to apply sand to the rails ahead of the trolleys climbing the hill.

      I have heard or read that the line was none too popular because of the hill.  When folks had a choice, they chose to go down Market St.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: fjgrailroad@...
      Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:01:36 -0500

      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

      I thought the belt line went down Vrooman Street Hill.  I figured it had to cross the ACN right at the top of the hill.  Aren't there stories about heavy duty breaks being used because of Vrooman?  Maybe the busses went down Vrooman and I'm confusing a story?

      Gino

      On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

      Paul,
      Your description is very close to the alternate I mentioned with the line running up James Street.  The rest of that one had it following the path you describe with Edson St. and Forest Ave.  That would make more sense than running it through the 5 corners, but that is the only map of the line that I have.  I've never been able to find a map showing it laid out as you describe, just the text description.  The map I sent Paul isn't dated but as it mentions Mohawk Mills Park it must be post 1934 when the name changed from Jollyland.  I know the Belt Line was shut down by then so maybe my map isn't accurate.  Given that the area where the lines crossed wasn't really very developed at the time, it would explain why none of the city directories note a street crossing.
      Jerry

      From: handyman756@...
      Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:28:53 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

      Gino,
      The Amsterdam Belt Linn didn't cross the ACN on Vrooman Ave. The Belt Line turned off of Vrooman and went west on Edward Street before it got far enough north to hit the ACN. Depending on which map you believe, the Belt Line either crossed the ACN on James Street right where Kellogg Street joined James, or it ran diagonally from the intersection of Edward and James into that wonderful intersection we Amsterdamians call the "5 Corners". If that was the route it would have had to cross the ACN twice, once on the line going to Kellogg & Millers and the Sanford complex and again on the line running up to Smellie & Vorhees paper mill and the Upper Mohawk Mills. So far I haven't been able to pin down the exact route in that area.
      Jerry

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 10, 2011
        I'll add a few miscellaneous thoughts on this topic.

        1..Selkirk Yard has been around for a long time. There was some sort of yard there back in the early 1900's to serve freights using the Hoffmans connection built between the West Shore and Water Level to take freight off West Albany Hill. I think this link was put in around 1900 but not sure. Selkirk in its present state came about in the mid 60's under the NYC Perlman reign when the yard was fully rebuilt.

        2..In the 1970's and until the FJG shut down (I don't know what went on before the 1970's but I assume it was the same)there was a local based out of Amsterdam Yard (along the main). It was an SW1 plus standard PC transfer Caboose until Conrail replaced with a GP15 or other GP's. The power and caboose would always park on the siding on the north side of the yard up against the crossing on the west end of Amsterdam Yard. There were a few times in the early 80's when the FJG was booming that this local was assigned to Fonda with the power parked on the Agway siding. Once the FJG basically shut down the local was moved to South Schenectady (more or less on the timing). During the late 70's and aerly 80's I saw road freights service the FJG interchange as well as the Amsterdam local. Not sure what rhyme or reason was used to decide how cars were delivered to the FJG but I often saw FJG cars in Amsterdam yard.

        3..Regarding where the Amsterdam local steam power was serviced in that era, I am just guessing but I would assume it went to West Albany for major service unless there were servicing facilities in Sand Bank Yard.

        John

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
          Hi John,

          I have a few hundred Conrail consists from late '78 to early '79 that a
          friend "dug out of the garbage" from the office at DeWitt yard. A few
          have cars destined for Fonda and the FJ&G, these were otherwise through
          freights making the odd stop here and there. I also noticed FJ&G cars
          heading to Amsterdam, pretty much all were for Coleco and I wondered if
          they originated at one of the Coleco facilities on the FJ&G and were
          "inter-plant" shipments.

          Paul :-)