Re: Old Irons

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hey Aaron,

      I still have a Beta VCR, 8-track player (with 8-tracks) and I
      just gave away my Commodore 64 because I couldn't find ribbons
      for my printer anymore...

      On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
      engines?

      Gino

      ----------

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
        Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
        Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
          >On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
          >engines?

          Not that I'm aware of. I don't even think coal-burners could be converted
          to oil-burners.

          >Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
          >Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

          I think I may have a list somewhere at home, but I'm not sure I can put my
          finger on it over vacation.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
            Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
            during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
              >Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil
              (bunker-C)
              >during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

              Hadn't heard of that; thanks for telling me.

              -Aaron
            • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                > From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                >
                > Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
                > during the forties because it was more cost efficient.
                >
                > Paul

                That's what I meant, not diesel!

                Gino
              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                  I can check out my stuff Peter, but I think most of their steamers
                  were scrapped. I'll have to look at home many were sold. Those
                  I couldn't tell you what happened to them. I'm sure Aaron has some
                  info on this...

                  Gino

                • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                      As far as I can tell, all the FJ&G steam locomotives are scrapped. Parts
                      from the S2s were re-used on some NYS&W equipment. The 44-ton #30 is still
                      in operation on the Burlington Junction Railway in Burlington, Iowa. The
                      gas car, 340, was eventually sold to some sort of museum in Manitoba but I
                      can't find any record of it still existing. That's about all I can mention;
                      of course leaving out other equipment that we've already discussed on-list.