RE: [FJGRailroad] Rail served industry
- Good morning,
Indeed the FJ&G team tracks were very busy. The FJ&G through all it's early years permitted very few, if any, private tracks to be connected to their main track. All freight business was handled either through the company freight houses or from a public team track. Entrepreneurs trying to break the FCCCo's monopoly on the coal business, in the early 20th century forced the construction of switches for their coal houses, opening the way for other businesses. A few factories and the Gloversville Light company received their coal directly and a handful of businesses built tracks to bring raw materials directly into their warehouses.
These private tracks carried different names over the many years of their use. Nearly all the private tracks were constructed after the turn of the 20th century. I have included the Fulton County Coal Co. though strictly speaking, except for the few years between 1893 and 1901. these were effectively company tracks. Not listed are IGA, Allen & Hurd, Brown (King) Coal, Fulton County Paving, (Leader Herald, Spanish American Skin, Cordone's, Sarraino & Curcio, Sears, Treher & Jung warehouses, were actually served from FJ&G tracks), General Dry Battery (1942 to the Surpass Leather mfg. bldg. later Decca/Coleco), Arterial team track, Mohawk Cabinet, Feldspar. These all came after the "hey-day."
During the hey-days, for this discussion 1926, private tracks were as follows:
Fonda: Standard Oil of New York; FCCCo.
Johnstown: Knox Gelatin; FCCCo. (2); Warehouse (former Steam passenger depot, used by several businesses over the years); Gilbert and Wells, between Washington and W. Fulton; Argersinger-Putman; Fort Johnson Coal Company; Tryon Oil Co.; Citizen's Coal Co.; Edwards & Co. (later M&H warehouse).
Gloversville: Helburn-Thompson (later Lee Dye); Lebenheim; Fulton Cty. Gas and Electric; E. Wells (later Independent Leather); Parkhurst Hair Mill and Gloversville Knitting Mills (served by the electric line); FCCCo. (2); G. Levor; Cane Tanning (later Elithorpe); several customers were served around the Gloversville yard area from company tracks, Ogden Feed, Daily's Flour and Feed Mill, James Dillenbeck wholesale grocer; Surpass Leather power plant (earlier Kent, Booth & Co.); H&C Hines, feed and wood; Independent Coal Co.; J.C. Bleyl & Co. (later F.D. Peters used the lead to Bleyl's mill); Burr Lumber Co. (1941 extended to Robison Smith Co.); Wood & Hyde; City of Gloversville; Jones & Naudin; FCCCo.; Glove City Coal.
North of Mayfield: Stewart's Quarry.
North of Cranberry Creek: U.S. Feldspar.
Broadalbin: Finch Coal; Broadalbin Knitting Mill sidings (all across Bridge street).
Team tracks were available at Johnstown opposite the freight house, between Washington and Fulton from track leading to the FCCCo. coal house and at Townsend avenue; in Gloversville: Hill street, West yard beside the freight house, in front of the freight house, opposite the steam depot, Broad street; and, at Kingsboro Avenue, Northville and Broadalbin stations.
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:25:03 +0000
Subject: [FJGRailroad] Rail served industry
During the hey-day of the FJ&G (prior to Decca/Coleco/etc) what customers were directly served with their own sidings? It appears that the coal companies were, however it appears to be a line with very active team tracks.