RE: [FJGRailroad] Glenville Substation

  • Jerry Snyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
      It may not be hard to get to, but it is on private property...

      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:13:54 -0400

      You'll have to tell us as we only have the satellite images to judge from.  I'm hoping we can get in there to look at it and take a few photos but someone has to do the advance work.

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: riverlinejoe@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 00:35:52 +0000

      Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that was a pretty new roof when I was there last with certain members of an elite railfan commando unit that reconnoitered the area up close and personal..............right Elite Railfan Commando Unit members.......

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 01:43:53 -0400

      I suspect the owner is either a contractor of some sort who used it for storage or a scrap or junk dealer, again for storage fdrom the looks of the yard and equipment around.  I have never been in to it from the road (on private property and has been a cable across the road.  I've seen it from the Amtrak tracks when passing by.  When I was last by there, several years ago, I don't recall that the roof had failed. That's is too bad.  Soon that building will be lost also.

      If you're familiar with where the right of way ran, you can follow it most of the way from Gloversville to Schenectady and Fonda, even after72 years.

      Paul

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: dhc628@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:22:39 -0700

      Paul,

      This building?  Sad to see it in a state like this.  What was it being used for most recently?

      Thanks for the info.  It helped.

      Jason Cook
      New Haven, IN

      --- On Fri, 10/1/10, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
      Jason,  Using the map search program you prefer go to 100 Washout Road, Glenville, NY.  There you will find the building, or what's left of it, north of the Amtrak track and west of Washout Rd. by several hundred feet.  You can also discern the former trolley road bed using "bird'seye view."

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: dhc628@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 19:53:33 -0700

      Gino,

      How about a link or street address of where the substation is located.  I don't know much about the electric line into Schenectady so I don't even know where to begin looking.

      Jason

      --- On Fri, 10/1/10, Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:
      Someone mentioned the Glenville Sub Station and it's roof.  Maybe not a prediction, but in the view on Bing's Aerial Map,
      the roof HAS collapsed!