Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: UP Power

  • DICARLO, GINO
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 5:33 PM
      I do beleive that the FJG did borrow from NYC steamers from time to time.
      I think I have a shot of a NYC switcher passing through the Gloversville
      yard. I think Paul Larner told me that NYC engines were on the FJG from
      time to time...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 8:29 PM
        Yes, starting with the early excursions to the Park; often run with NYC
        coaches and frequently run through power for trains that came from the east
        on NYC. Have seen pictures of NYC power in G but do not know if borrowed or
        for try out. The latter was done on one or two occassions. Can't recall if
        the FJ&G ever borrowed diesel power. Don't believe the service ever
        required more than two in service at a time following the changeover to
        diesel, which meant one was usually being serviced of polished. My
        recollection is that they alternated from week to week with the 20 and 21.
        Seems FJ&G always had a back up engine to maintain their self sufficiency I
        suppose. Any one recall them using NYC diesel power? Need pictures!!

        PKL

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2 8:39 PM
          Paul The only photo record I have of NYC motive power on the FJ&G is the
          Black Diesel we have metioned and a Steam engine similiar to the #11 taken
          in the G-ville Yards I assume the Steam was a rental or loaner while the #11
          or #14 was in the shops in Schenectady??

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 5:01 AM
            I agree on the pics. I can't recall any others. The diesel I believe you
            have corroborated, was a test prior to purchasing the No. 20. The steam
            engine may have been needed after the twelve laid up in the thirties, but
            something tells me that too was a demo prior to purchasing the 11 or 14.
            Didn't you have some oral record on that? As I think of it I think there
            are photo records of two NYC steamers on the property.

            PKL