Amsterdam

  • DICARLO, GINO
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 5:31 PM
      Hi Guys,

      I just got a postcard of a St. Louis Car Interurban in Amsterdam. The
      caption says "Market Street in Amsterdam" and it does look like Market
      Street Hill. I'm just wondering if the interurbans went up Market Street?
      I always thought that those cars and the Bullets went through the city
      on their way to Schenectady by way of present day route 5. I didn't think
      they made their way up the hill?

      Gino
    • Saul Kalbfeld
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2009
        The track down Main was a good looking piece of work well into the 1960's, long after the cars went to trolley heaven. I don't remember any of the stretch being patched over. Even the passing track was complete with all the moving parts in place. I don't know why all the other track was removed in the city but this part remained, even during WWII when so much scrap steel was used in the war effort.