Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: UP Power

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
      Hope this is an open question Saul, and not just to me! I would guess that
      in the diesel era, probably not. The FJ&G had three diesels and only two
      jobs, plus of course the passenger run with the gas-electric. An S-2 could
      always sub for the 44-tonner in the yard or on the mixed to Broadlbin, and
      in later years when they sold the 44-tonner, they were down to one round
      trip to Fonda per day and an afternoon run to Broadlbin as required.

      Paul

    • DICARLO, GINO
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
        I do beleive that the FJG did borrow from NYC steamers from time to time.
        I think I have a shot of a NYC switcher passing through the Gloversville
        yard. I think Paul Larner told me that NYC engines were on the FJG from
        time to time...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
          Yes, starting with the early excursions to the Park; often run with NYC
          coaches and frequently run through power for trains that came from the east
          on NYC. Have seen pictures of NYC power in G but do not know if borrowed or
          for try out. The latter was done on one or two occassions. Can't recall if
          the FJ&G ever borrowed diesel power. Don't believe the service ever
          required more than two in service at a time following the changeover to
          diesel, which meant one was usually being serviced of polished. My
          recollection is that they alternated from week to week with the 20 and 21.
          Seems FJ&G always had a back up engine to maintain their self sufficiency I
          suppose. Any one recall them using NYC diesel power? Need pictures!!

          PKL

        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
            Paul The only photo record I have of NYC motive power on the FJ&G is the
            Black Diesel we have metioned and a Steam engine similiar to the #11 taken
            in the G-ville Yards I assume the Steam was a rental or loaner while the #11
            or #14 was in the shops in Schenectady??

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2000
              I agree on the pics. I can't recall any others. The diesel I believe you
              have corroborated, was a test prior to purchasing the No. 20. The steam
              engine may have been needed after the twelve laid up in the thirties, but
              something tells me that too was a demo prior to purchasing the 11 or 14.
              Didn't you have some oral record on that? As I think of it I think there
              are photo records of two NYC steamers on the property.

              PKL