Re: Old Irons

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hey Aaron,

      I still have a Beta VCR, 8-track player (with 8-tracks) and I
      just gave away my Commodore 64 because I couldn't find ribbons
      for my printer anymore...

      On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
      engines?

      Gino

      ----------

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
          Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
          Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
            >On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
            >engines?

            Not that I'm aware of. I don't even think coal-burners could be converted
            to oil-burners.

            >Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
            >Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

            I think I may have a list somewhere at home, but I'm not sure I can put my
            finger on it over vacation.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
              Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
              during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 1999
                >Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil
                (bunker-C)
                >during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

                Hadn't heard of that; thanks for telling me.

                -Aaron
              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                  > From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                  >
                  > Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
                  > during the forties because it was more cost efficient.
                  >
                  > Paul

                  That's what I meant, not diesel!

                  Gino
                • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                    I can check out my stuff Peter, but I think most of their steamers
                    were scrapped. I'll have to look at home many were sold. Those
                    I couldn't tell you what happened to them. I'm sure Aaron has some
                    info on this...

                    Gino

                  • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 23, 1999
                        As far as I can tell, all the FJ&G steam locomotives are scrapped. Parts
                        from the S2s were re-used on some NYS&W equipment. The 44-ton #30 is still
                        in operation on the Burlington Junction Railway in Burlington, Iowa. The
                        gas car, 340, was eventually sold to some sort of museum in Manitoba but I
                        can't find any record of it still existing. That's about all I can mention;
                        of course leaving out other equipment that we've already discussed on-list.