RE: [FJGRailroad] Edwaard J. Smith

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2010
      Good morning Smitty,

      Through my research on the history of the FJ&G I have been able to obtain a relatively complete listing of the employees of the railroad.  Discovering the families that contributed to the character (and the characters) of the FJ&G is for me as important as the financials, buildings and dates to the story of our railroad.  History and its "events" are the evidence left by the men and women who figured in their creation and outcome.  Knowing something, anything, about the "who's" contributes to "understanding" the whys.  Using a variety of resources (company documents, newspaper accounts, city directories, public government files), it's possible to create a mental picture of what life may have been for the men and occasional woman who financed, planned and labored for the FJ&G and its affiliated companies.

      In this context I came across your father's name, among several other Smith family members in the FJ&G ranks.  The two men I asked of, Will and Art Smith, were the father and uncle of a friend I had while growing up in Gloversville.  Your sharing memories of the FJ&G and your father's work for the company ensures another piece of history is not lost and forgotten.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: smithvolkert@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:59:26 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Edwaard J. Smith

      Paul: I was wondering how you happened to know my faather. Smitty