Sstation

  • Volkert Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
      Greetings everyone: I remember my father talking about a F J & G station that need a new roof. It was a 2 story building. The decision was made to cut down to 1 story. The carpenters went upsatirs, cut holes in the sides and built a new roof, as far as they could go. Then they took down the roof and sidewalls , exposing the new roof. They had to do finish work after that. This was many years ago. I am not sure but i seem to think that it was the Broadalbin station. Smitty
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
        Smitty, you have provided the gem of the entire time this list has been up.  You have answered a question about the Broadalbin depot, I have researched to the point of strongly believing there was no fire that resulted in the major change to the appearance of the Broadalbin depot.  There is simply no record that I have found to indicate there was a fire in the building at the time of the reconstruction.  The date of the alteration is believed to be during fiscal year 1911.

        Photos from about 1910 show the building to be in need of paint and repair.  My suspicion was that in order to eliminate the heavy maintenance of all the gingerbread, the building was reconstructed to better fit the amount of traffic through the building.  The story has been their was a fire (still a possibility though not documented).

        The roof replacement also expains why there was no change in the capital account.  Perhaps there was no deduction in the account for removing the second floor and platform cover because the building was a gift from the Husted family.

        Thanks for that jewel of information.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: smithvolkert@...
        Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sstation

        Greetings everyone: I remember my father talking about a F J & G station that need a new roof. It was a 2 story building. The decision was made to cut down to 1 story. The carpenters went upsatirs, cut holes in the sides and built a new roof, as far as they could go. Then they took down the roof and sidewalls , exposing the new roof. They had to do finish work after that. This was many years ago. I am not sure but i seem to think that it was the Broadalbin station. Smitty

      • Jerry Snyder
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
          Another piece of the puzzle we call history - thanks Smitty!

          When I was in the station last fall I was talking with the current owner and told her about the fire story but that there did not seem to be any historical account of it.  She said that they had done a lot of work on the interior when they bought the building and in the course of renovations had opened up some of the areas in the attic.  She said that there was definitely evidence of there having been fire damage at some time in the building's history as there were some charred areas on the structure.
          Jerry

          From: smithvolkert@ yahoo.com
          Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
            Jerry et al.

            There were two fires in the recent history of the Broadalbin depot building following the closing of the depot by the railroad (over fifty years now).   One occurred when the laundromat business occupied the building and the other I can't recall precisely off the top of my head.  Again off the top of my head, I recall no record of fire during the time of the railroad's use.

            In looking for a photo tonight, thought I might have one of Smitty's father with the carpenters,  I came across some dated photos of the Surpass leather building - Jan 1924.  Something more to track down as I have another photo, the one referred to as during the construction of the building, which I believe was later.  Now here's the kicker.  No. 14 was acquired in 1926 specifically to replace the aged and worn out No. 10.  No. 10 is in the construction photo???  Someone have access to the Manning's for the twenties (Gloversville Library) to determine when that building was put on that lot?  To know this fact would enable us to correct the date of the construction photo.

            Aaron, something for you to do in your remaining spare time??

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: handyman756@...
            Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:31:49 -0700

            From: smithvolkert@ yahoo.com
            Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700

            Greetings everyone: I remember my father talking about a F J & G station that need a new roof. It was a 2 story building. The decision was made to cut down to 1 story. The carpenters went upsatirs, cut holes in the sides and built a new roof, as far as they could go. Then they took down the roof and sidewalls , exposing the new roof. They had to do finish work after that. This was many years ago. I am not sure but i seem to think that it was the Broadalbin station. Smitty

          • Fjgrailroad
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
              The charred damage in the attic is from the laundry fire in the early 70's.  The previous owner told me about the damage still being up there.

              Sent from my iPhone

              From: smithvolkert@ yahoo.com
              Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2010
                Re:  The Broadalbin station.  The laundromat fire damage is still visible; I have seen it with my own eyes, years ago, when one couple was vacating the building.  I was allowed to go upstairs.

                And, Smitty, thanks for sharing these details; I second Paul's hearty thank you!  What an interesting construction project... so they built the new roof under the old roof and then took the top off.

                -Aaron

                From: smithvolkert@ yahoo.com
                Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
                  What about the second story to the Johnstown Station?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  From: smithvolkert@ yahoo.com
                  Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:12:29 -0700

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010