RE: [FJGRailroad] F J & G carpenter

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
      Mr. Smith,

      Was Edward J. Smith your father?  Was he (and you) related to George A. Smith and/or L. B. Smith also employees of the railroad during that same time period.  L.B. also worked in the carpenter shop, George was in the machine shop for decades.

      I know there were (are) dozens of Smiths in Gloversville.

      It is challenging and interesting identifying railroad families and the number of generations each worked at the FJ&G.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: smithvolkert@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:22:20 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] F J & G carpenter

      My ather went to work, as a carpenter, for the F J & G about 1908 and worked for then until late 1937. His first job was to make 2 trolley car doors out of mahogny. When they were finished they were put in the stockroom. When he retired almost 30 years later the doors were still in the stockroom. Smitty