RE: [FJGRailroad] Coleco

  • Jerry Snyder
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 2010
      Joe,
      There was a crane at the upper Mohawk Mill complex that supposedly was used to handle the coal brought into the powerhouse. It sat up there for years after the mills stopped using the line and it was finally hauled out before the trestle across the Chuctanunda between 4th Ave. and Forest Ave. by the paper plant was taken down.
      Jerry

      From: handyman756@ yahoo.com
      Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 05:44:12 -0700

      COLECO used several of the old Sanford mill buildings in Amsterdam.  The large white mill next to Rt. 30 going up the hill was not one of them, however.  That's part of Fiberglass Industries.  COLECO did use the "clock building" which sits a bit further back and various buildings along Park and Willow Streets on the north side of the Chuctanunda Creek.  The Kellogg Branch (the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda and Northern) provided direct rail service to these mills, but I can't say for certain that COLECO used it when they were there.  I know several of the small pre-COLECO operations shipped goods by rail out of there in the 70's when I was working summer jobs loading boxcars there at Bayshore Industries.
      Jerry