Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&Gv2 in the works...

  • Mark Wilber
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
      The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
        Hi Mark,

        Thanks, was there a name given to the run-around track at Coleco?

        Paul :-)

        On 10/06/2010 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber wrote:
        > The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl
        > Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools).
        > Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the
        > building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most
        > extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same
        > time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark
      • Fjgrailroad
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
          Maybe it was 'vinyl' track that caused the derailments back there.  I seem to recall Mark mentioning something like that...

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

          The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

          I do not have a plan, I will have to see if I have any pictures showing enough detail.

          Description would be as follows.

          The main went straight ahead NB from Patch Road and then swung around a very sharp curve and then headed straight down towards Rt 349 thru swamplands and trees with a few small bridges along the way.

          The curve was on an embankment around a large depression located on the inside of the curve. A few feet north of Patch Rd a switch had the siding coming off the right side (facing RR NB) and this track went down into the depression and then back out again joining the main maybe a quarter mile down from where the curve on the main ended.

          In the depression or maybe just slightly up the north side of the depression a switch and track came off on the right side (facing RR NB)and headed south into the Coleco building. The track ran along the very West side of the building going pretty much the entire length of the inside. (assuming you are facing RR North when standing at the Patch Rd crossing looking North up the tracks).

          Finally, there was a siding that came off the right side of the main "runaround" siding just before this track headed into the depression (I am not really sure about the location of this switch). This siding then came back SB towards Patch Rd on the West side of Coleco but outside. They used this siding to unload pellet cars outside for transfer by truck to the Mayfield molding plant.

          Let me know if I can be of more help.

          --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@.. .> wrote:

          > > Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
          > before they expanded over the mainline?
          >
          > Paul :-)

        • Mark Wilber
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
            I think the switch in the hole, (runaround & track to the inside of building) gave us the most problems.Mark