Re: [FJGRailroad] Coleco Tracks

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
      Hi John, Paul, and All,

      I've uploaded two shots I worked from, these are shots Gino sent a few
      years ago when I was working on the N scale layout.

      First shot shows on of the RSs on the main with a string of boxcars
      wrapping around the main. To the left you can see the concrete phone
      booth, the line of telephone poles are actually heading to Mayfield.
      The plow is sitting on the beginning of the run-around, the track to
      it's right was for unloading covered hoppers.

      The second shot was taken from the east end of the run-around, shows the
      short wye switch to Coleco's siding into the building, and another
      string of boxcars on the main.

      Thanks for the better engineering comment(!), but part of the problem
      with MSTS is that you can't "hand lay" switches in the program, you are
      stuck using what comes with it. The other problem is even though an SW
      or S unit can go around a 100 foot radius curve while coupled to a
      boxcar, MSTS really has a hard time with this. When the program was
      originally created MS provided a default wag file that was based on a
      car with a cushioned underframe. That might be nice but when you push
      or pull one of these cars around a tight curve it starts bouncing back
      and forth and you end up stalling your train. So, you avoid building
      these problems into a route.

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

         Paul and all,

        Added a few photos of the Coleco trackage in the Photos section.  The short spur near Patch road would hold only two covered hoppers to clear the runaround.  These should help you recreate the plan for the layout.  Note the runaround was added in 1972.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
          Hi Paul,

          Pretty rough looking track back in '72 when it went in, looked much
          better when it was ballasted!

          Paul :-)