FJG old stops, stations etc...

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

      Hello all I been kind of lurking and reading all posts everyday for past month or so, and just wanted to say hello to everyone.  I was wondering if anyone knew where some stops on the FJG were that might just be overgrown or vacant lots now.  I would like to go see what I could find around these areas with my metal detector.  I am not a beginner metal decectorist I have been doing it for years and use some very expensive and accurate equipment.  I only usually dig a 3” – 5” round hole to pull anything from ground and I replace the plug of soil so you can never tell I was there, I also remove any trash I may dig or find.  So if anyone ever lost a ring or anything that needs someone to find it let me know, I would be happy to help just for the thrill of the hunt.  Also always happy to hear from anyone with a good spot or a house that is from 1800’s to early 1900’s that wouldn’t mind seeing what they have in their land.

      Thanks,

      Mike K.

      tech@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
        Mike, This spring we did some searching around the Sammonsville depot site with a metal detector but were greatly disappointed with the amount of junk deposited there over the years.  I think this is one of the better locations left on the railroad for searching because it has been left alone, except for the trash and brush.  The Broadalbin freight house, tool house and depot area is another that might be ripe for picking.  Everything else has been obliterated by grading, new construction or the reservoir.

        You might find a lock or key around the locations of main track switches.  Years ago an old brass switch lock was found just off the side of the bridge in Fonda.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: adironteck@...
        Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:13:12 -0400
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJG old stops, stations etc...

        tech@adironteck. com

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
          Hi John, Paul, and All,

          I've uploaded two shots I worked from, these are shots Gino sent a few
          years ago when I was working on the N scale layout.

          First shot shows on of the RSs on the main with a string of boxcars
          wrapping around the main. To the left you can see the concrete phone
          booth, the line of telephone poles are actually heading to Mayfield.
          The plow is sitting on the beginning of the run-around, the track to
          it's right was for unloading covered hoppers.

          The second shot was taken from the east end of the run-around, shows the
          short wye switch to Coleco's siding into the building, and another
          string of boxcars on the main.

          Thanks for the better engineering comment(!), but part of the problem
          with MSTS is that you can't "hand lay" switches in the program, you are
          stuck using what comes with it. The other problem is even though an SW
          or S unit can go around a 100 foot radius curve while coupled to a
          boxcar, MSTS really has a hard time with this. When the program was
          originally created MS provided a default wag file that was based on a
          car with a cushioned underframe. That might be nice but when you push
          or pull one of these cars around a tight curve it starts bouncing back
          and forth and you end up stalling your train. So, you avoid building
          these problems into a route.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

             Paul and all,

            Added a few photos of the Coleco trackage in the Photos section.  The short spur near Patch road would hold only two covered hoppers to clear the runaround.  These should help you recreate the plan for the layout.  Note the runaround was added in 1972.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
              Hi Paul,

              Pretty rough looking track back in '72 when it went in, looked much
              better when it was ballasted!

              Paul :-)