Re: FJ&Gv2 in the works...

  • Glenn J. Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
      > [snip]
      >
      > I don't know if you care to go for this much detail: in the early fifties there were three yard tracks and a spur for the oil company in the FJ&G Fonda yard, in addition to the turntable lead and the coal track. Without confirming for the purpose of this conversation, the coal track and diamond may have been removed in the late forties, or at least when the Sarris Brothers built there restaurant; I recall stepping over the diamond frog lying in the brush near teh turntable. On the north (west) end the first switch was on the south (east) end of the bridge and the second switch shortly beyond the frog. At the south (east) end of the yard the switch off the siding to the third track was located a few feet further north than the coal track switch, with the Standard Oil switch just beyond the frog. The Standard Oil track came off the second track east (north) of the main track, extending north (west) to a point nearly opposite the north frog of the siding. A picture is worth a thousand words however the map is too big to conveniently scan.
      >
      > Glenn might be able to add first hand details of what was there in the 50's, when it disappeared and when Sarris' restaurant was built.
      >
      > PKL

      By the mid to late 50s, only the turntable and the track leading to it from the east were left. Sarris' restaurant was built no later than the mid 50s.

      Somewhere I have detail pictures of the turntable taken around that time. Time to fire up the scanner!

      Glenn
      Penacook, NH
    • Mark Wilber
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
        The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
          Hi Mark,

          Thanks, was there a name given to the run-around track at Coleco?

          Paul :-)

          On 10/06/2010 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber wrote:
          > The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl
          > Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools).
          > Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the
          > building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most
          > extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same
          > time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark
        • Fjgrailroad
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
            Maybe it was 'vinyl' track that caused the derailments back there.  I seem to recall Mark mentioning something like that...

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

            The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

            I do not have a plan, I will have to see if I have any pictures showing enough detail.

            Description would be as follows.

            The main went straight ahead NB from Patch Road and then swung around a very sharp curve and then headed straight down towards Rt 349 thru swamplands and trees with a few small bridges along the way.

            The curve was on an embankment around a large depression located on the inside of the curve. A few feet north of Patch Rd a switch had the siding coming off the right side (facing RR NB) and this track went down into the depression and then back out again joining the main maybe a quarter mile down from where the curve on the main ended.

            In the depression or maybe just slightly up the north side of the depression a switch and track came off on the right side (facing RR NB)and headed south into the Coleco building. The track ran along the very West side of the building going pretty much the entire length of the inside. (assuming you are facing RR North when standing at the Patch Rd crossing looking North up the tracks).

            Finally, there was a siding that came off the right side of the main "runaround" siding just before this track headed into the depression (I am not really sure about the location of this switch). This siding then came back SB towards Patch Rd on the West side of Coleco but outside. They used this siding to unload pellet cars outside for transfer by truck to the Mayfield molding plant.

            Let me know if I can be of more help.

            --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@.. .> wrote:

            > > Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
            > before they expanded over the mainline?
            >
            > Paul :-)

          • Mark Wilber
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
              I think the switch in the hole, (runaround & track to the inside of building) gave us the most problems.Mark