Coleco Tracks

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
      Hi All,

      I think I have this right but would like someone to have a look. Patch
      Road is in the foreground, not sure how long the siding inside Coleco
      would have been, anyone remember how many cars would fit in?

      Might have to copy and paste the lower part of this link, it's a long one.

      Paul :-)
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
        Mark would obviously be the best source but I will give it a try. It's very close but here are a few minor points.

        1) I worked inside Coleco one summer and I thought the siding ran the whole length of the building inside, or close to it.

        2) I thought that the mainline curve was sharper then drawn but I am guessing based on memory.

        3) What I call the runaround track that went into the depression was farther away from the main then shown. You show it curving towards the main between the 2 siding switches and it definitely did not do that. There was more space between the 2 tracks.

        4) There was a concrete shanty on the left side of the main just up from Patch Rd. Does anyone know what those were used for way back when?

        I don't think I have a good picture in the depression track but I am going to look now.

        John

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

          John,

          That concrete shanty was the telephone booth for the Junction.

          Gino

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
            Paul, your design is better engineered than the real deal.  The shape formed by the double ended track was more like an ovoid with the ends pulled to irregular points.  The first track constructed was a siding from the main into the plant.  The connection was an after thought having to loop somewhat into the existing track.  I can pull the dimensions together and send you a diagram of the lay out a little later.\\PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
              John, The concrete structure was the register box put there in 1912.  There are similar structures on the D&H around Bluff behind the golf course, and another one you can drive to and photograph west of Plattsburgh where the "new" D&H route to Lyon Mountain reconnected with the original Main line location to switch back to the industries on the south side of the river.  You can see it on google earth  off Pleasant Ridge Road (west of the northway and south oof the river).

              If you don't find your photos I have a few I can put up.

              Paul

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: jsesonske@...
              Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:58:47 +0000

              Mark would obviously be the best source but I will give it a try. It's very close but here are a few minor points.

              1) I worked inside Coleco one summer and I thought the siding ran the whole length of the building inside, or close to it.

              2) I thought that the mainline curve was sharper then drawn but I am guessing based on memory.

              3) What I call the runaround track that went into the depression was farther away from the main then shown. You show it curving towards the main between the 2 siding switches and it definitely did not do that. There was more space between the 2 tracks.

              4) There was a concrete shanty on the left side of the main just up from Patch Rd. Does anyone know what those were used for way back when?

              I don't think I have a good picture in the depression track but I am going to look now.

              John

              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I think I have this right but would like someone to have a look. Patch
              > Road is in the foreground, not sure how long the siding inside Coleco
              > would have been, anyone remember how many cars would fit in?

              > Might have to copy and paste the lower part of this link, it's a long one.
              >
              > Paul :-)

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

                Hello all I been kind of lurking and reading all posts everyday for past month or so, and just wanted to say hello to everyone.  I was wondering if anyone knew where some stops on the FJG were that might just be overgrown or vacant lots now.  I would like to go see what I could find around these areas with my metal detector.  I am not a beginner metal decectorist I have been doing it for years and use some very expensive and accurate equipment.  I only usually dig a 3” – 5” round hole to pull anything from ground and I replace the plug of soil so you can never tell I was there, I also remove any trash I may dig or find.  So if anyone ever lost a ring or anything that needs someone to find it let me know, I would be happy to help just for the thrill of the hunt.  Also always happy to hear from anyone with a good spot or a house that is from 1800’s to early 1900’s that wouldn’t mind seeing what they have in their land.

                Thanks,

                Mike K.

                tech@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
                  Mike, This spring we did some searching around the Sammonsville depot site with a metal detector but were greatly disappointed with the amount of junk deposited there over the years.  I think this is one of the better locations left on the railroad for searching because it has been left alone, except for the trash and brush.  The Broadalbin freight house, tool house and depot area is another that might be ripe for picking.  Everything else has been obliterated by grading, new construction or the reservoir.

                  You might find a lock or key around the locations of main track switches.  Years ago an old brass switch lock was found just off the side of the bridge in Fonda.

                  PKL

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: adironteck@...
                  Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:13:12 -0400
                  Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJG old stops, stations etc...

                  tech@adironteck. com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Hi John, Paul, and All,

                    I've uploaded two shots I worked from, these are shots Gino sent a few
                    years ago when I was working on the N scale layout.

                    First shot shows on of the RSs on the main with a string of boxcars
                    wrapping around the main. To the left you can see the concrete phone
                    booth, the line of telephone poles are actually heading to Mayfield.
                    The plow is sitting on the beginning of the run-around, the track to
                    it's right was for unloading covered hoppers.

                    The second shot was taken from the east end of the run-around, shows the
                    short wye switch to Coleco's siding into the building, and another
                    string of boxcars on the main.

                    Thanks for the better engineering comment(!), but part of the problem
                    with MSTS is that you can't "hand lay" switches in the program, you are
                    stuck using what comes with it. The other problem is even though an SW
                    or S unit can go around a 100 foot radius curve while coupled to a
                    boxcar, MSTS really has a hard time with this. When the program was
                    originally created MS provided a default wag file that was based on a
                    car with a cushioned underframe. That might be nice but when you push
                    or pull one of these cars around a tight curve it starts bouncing back
                    and forth and you end up stalling your train. So, you avoid building
                    these problems into a route.

                    Paul :-)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010

                       Paul and all,

                      Added a few photos of the Coleco trackage in the Photos section.  The short spur near Patch road would hold only two covered hoppers to clear the runaround.  These should help you recreate the plan for the layout.  Note the runaround was added in 1972.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
                        Hi Paul,

                        Pretty rough looking track back in '72 when it went in, looked much
                        better when it was ballasted!

                        Paul :-)