Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&Gv2 in the works...

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
      Hi John,

      Just had a look at some photos that were supplied to me a couple of
      years ago when I first started drawing the route, now that I know what
      I'm looking at, they make much more sense to me, thanks!

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
        Hi Paul,

        I think the research for an early version of the railroad is going to be
        the interesting part. What customers were served, what building existed
        back then, were roads all dirt, what tracks were electric... the list
        goes on and on... but research is half the fun with a route.

        People are saying MS Train Sim is getting hard to find now. If you see
        one, grab it. There are people in the TrainSim world who are working on
        a replacement for the MicroSoft version, it's called Open Rails... open
        as in open source. It will be 100% compatible with files created in
        MSTS, so what I create now will be able to be used with Open Rails
        (actually have been told by one of the key people they have been using
        the FJ&G route for testing). So... even if you can't find MSTS
        somewhere, eventually you will be able to fine Open Rails to use in it's
        place.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
          Paul,

          From the looks of the tracks there wasn't much engineering done before laying them out.  IIRC the initial installation, 1967, was a facing point switch southward into the plant.  Later, 1970s DO perhaps, a switch was installed creating a single runaround track running from the main at Patch road to track into the plant.  We could guestimate the actual footage and photos will support the relative layout on the ground.  Off the track connecting to Patch road was a spur near Patch road.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: p.charlie@...
          Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:05:31 -0400
          Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&Gv2 in the works...

          Hi Gino,

          There is a Brill model 55 out there, and a couple of different Americans
          too. I'd like to finish what I've started with the late '70s version
          but maybe while I'm doing that maybe we can gather what I'd need to do a
          third version of the line. What's the date for the Brill, just checked
          your website and found the Northville Branch would have to be pre-1930.

          Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
          before they expanded over the mainline?

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
            I'll have to see what I did with the roster!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:54 AM, "Paul Charland" <p.charlie@...<mailto:p.charlie@...>> wrote:

            Hi Gino,

            1920-30 sounds interesting... could even have a Curtiss Genny flying past.

            You use to have a complete roster on the old website, can't find it on
            the new one. Just a text page, can't seem to find it here, do you
            remember the name of the file, I probably still have the page?

            Paul :-)

            On 09/06/2010 11:15 PM, Dicarlo, Gino wrote:
            > If it's the Brill 55, it can be between 1920 and 1930. Yes, a long
            > time ago. Most of the line wouldn't change much from your 1950's,
            > maybe just adding an electric track for the ROW between Gloversville
            > Yard and Market Street in Johnstown. You could really have a new
            > challenge with a 1920's version. There's got to be something similar
            > to Number 14 out there in NYC paint!
            >
            > I will get you the old info, but I don't have the Coleco layout. I'm
            > sure Aaron has that somewhere...
            >
            > Gino
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
              > [snip]
              >
              > I don't know if you care to go for this much detail: in the early fifties there were three yard tracks and a spur for the oil company in the FJ&G Fonda yard, in addition to the turntable lead and the coal track. Without confirming for the purpose of this conversation, the coal track and diamond may have been removed in the late forties, or at least when the Sarris Brothers built there restaurant; I recall stepping over the diamond frog lying in the brush near teh turntable. On the north (west) end the first switch was on the south (east) end of the bridge and the second switch shortly beyond the frog. At the south (east) end of the yard the switch off the siding to the third track was located a few feet further north than the coal track switch, with the Standard Oil switch just beyond the frog. The Standard Oil track came off the second track east (north) of the main track, extending north (west) to a point nearly opposite the north frog of the siding. A picture is worth a thousand words however the map is too big to conveniently scan.
              >
              > Glenn might be able to add first hand details of what was there in the 50's, when it disappeared and when Sarris' restaurant was built.
              >
              > PKL

              By the mid to late 50s, only the turntable and the track leading to it from the east were left. Sarris' restaurant was built no later than the mid 50s.

              Somewhere I have detail pictures of the turntable taken around that time. Time to fire up the scanner!

              Glenn
              Penacook, NH
            • Mark Wilber
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                  Hi Mark,

                  Thanks, was there a name given to the run-around track at Coleco?

                  Paul :-)

                  On 10/06/2010 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber wrote:
                  > The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl
                  > Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools).
                  > Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the
                  > building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most
                  > extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same
                  > time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark
                • Fjgrailroad
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                    Maybe it was 'vinyl' track that caused the derailments back there.  I seem to recall Mark mentioning something like that...

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                    The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

                    I do not have a plan, I will have to see if I have any pictures showing enough detail.

                    Description would be as follows.

                    The main went straight ahead NB from Patch Road and then swung around a very sharp curve and then headed straight down towards Rt 349 thru swamplands and trees with a few small bridges along the way.

                    The curve was on an embankment around a large depression located on the inside of the curve. A few feet north of Patch Rd a switch had the siding coming off the right side (facing RR NB) and this track went down into the depression and then back out again joining the main maybe a quarter mile down from where the curve on the main ended.

                    In the depression or maybe just slightly up the north side of the depression a switch and track came off on the right side (facing RR NB)and headed south into the Coleco building. The track ran along the very West side of the building going pretty much the entire length of the inside. (assuming you are facing RR North when standing at the Patch Rd crossing looking North up the tracks).

                    Finally, there was a siding that came off the right side of the main "runaround" siding just before this track headed into the depression (I am not really sure about the location of this switch). This siding then came back SB towards Patch Rd on the West side of Coleco but outside. They used this siding to unload pellet cars outside for transfer by truck to the Mayfield molding plant.

                    Let me know if I can be of more help.

                    --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@.. .> wrote:

                    > > Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
                    > before they expanded over the mainline?
                    >
                    > Paul :-)

                  • Mark Wilber
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                      I think the switch in the hole, (runaround & track to the inside of building) gave us the most problems.Mark