Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&Gv2 in the works...

    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
      Wow, those look awesome!

      When you get that finished, Paul, can you work on a time machine?  Larner wants some color photos of the Pioneer.

      -Aaron

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
        Isn't Paul's simulator close enough to a time machine! Those shots are incredible!!!!

        Gino

        Sent from my iPhone

        ________________________________

        <http://forums.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=293260>http://forums.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=293260

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
          Not sure about Pioneers, but I could probably get Pilgrims to work if I
          had good pictures to work from!

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
            You do nice work Paul.  Imagine digitally re-creating the railroad circa 1906, please

            After the round house closed the diesels, so far as I know, were not turned; the nose always pointed north, same as the steam freight locomotives had operated from the turn of the century.  The turntables at Fonda and Broadalbin were used only for the plow, after the ponies were retired.

            I don't know if you care to go for this much detail:  in the early fifties there were three yard tracks and a spur for the oil company in the FJ&G Fonda yard, in addition to the turntable lead and the coal track.  Without confirming for the purpose of this conversation, the coal track and diamond may have been removed in the late forties, or at least when the Sarris Brothers built there restaurant; I recall stepping over the diamond frog lying in the brush near teh turntable.  On the north (west) end the first switch was on the south (east) end of the bridge and the second switch shortly beyond the frog.  At the south (east) end of the yard the switch off the siding to the third track was located a few feet further north than the coal track switch, with the Standard Oil switch just beyond the frog.  The Standard Oil track came off the second track east (north) of the main track, extending north (west) to a point nearly opposite the north frog of the siding.  A picture is worth a thousand words however the map is too big to conveniently scan.

            Glenn might be able to add first hand details of what was there in the 50's, when it disappeared and when Sarris' restaurant was built.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
              Hi Paul,

              I'm not sure if you ever did get MS Trainsim or not, but my first effort
              is pretty close to what you are suggesting. I when by the most
              information I had which was for the most part 1959. Shots show the
              turntable in Fonda but also the Sarris Restaurant, both are in the first
              FJ&G route. I do have a set of 1926 (revised in 1949) plans of Fonda
              and had a look, see the diamond and coal track but they did not appear
              in any of the 1959 shots, so were not included.

              An earlier 50s or maybe a late 40s version of the route might be an idea
              for the future, not exactly sure off hand when steam passenger service
              ended on the FJ&G, the sim had no way of turning anything on a turntable
              so it's not like you could run a passenger train down to Fonda and
              return, although you could do a short activity one way only. If you had
              enough information you could go back far enough to include the
              Northville Branch. A few years ago I was able to trace the line using
              '80s black and white satellite shots the US Geological Survey had
              available, would hope the current shots might be even better for this.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
                Paul,

                It may not be too difficult to do a 1928 Northville Branch. Now that would be crazy cool! There's probably enough info in the valuations to do the Northville, Cranberry Creek and Mayfield station. The rest of the line would be trees and farmland. There is a bridge at Mayfield that is pretty standard and you could fudge a lumber yard at Northville. We have all the track plans so that part would be easy!

                I think it's a challenge you can take and complete! Give us a couple Americans and it will be sweet! Heck, I'd like to run the Model 55 from Gloversville to Northville!

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010
                  Hi Gino,

                  There is a Brill model 55 out there, and a couple of different Americans
                  too. I'd like to finish what I've started with the late '70s version
                  but maybe while I'm doing that maybe we can gather what I'd need to do a
                  third version of the line. What's the date for the Brill, just checked
                  your website and found the Northville Branch would have to be pre-1930.

                  Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
                  before they expanded over the mainline?

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 9, 2010

                    If it's the Brill 55, it can be between 1920 and 1930.  Yes, a long time ago.  Most of the line wouldn't change much from your 1950's, maybe just adding an electric track for the ROW between Gloversville Yard and Market Street in Johnstown.  You could really have a new challenge with a 1920's version.  There's got to be something similar to Number 14 out there in NYC paint!

                    I will get you the old info, but I don't have the Coleco layout.  I'm sure Aaron has that somewhere...

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                      Hi Gino,

                      1920-30 sounds interesting... could even have a Curtiss Genny flying past.

                      You use to have a complete roster on the old website, can't find it on
                      the new one. Just a text page, can't seem to find it here, do you
                      remember the name of the file, I probably still have the page?

                      Paul :-)

                      On 09/06/2010 11:15 PM, Dicarlo, Gino wrote:
                      > If it's the Brill 55, it can be between 1920 and 1930. Yes, a long
                      > time ago. Most of the line wouldn't change much from your 1950's,
                      > maybe just adding an electric track for the ROW between Gloversville
                      > Yard and Market Street in Johnstown. You could really have a new
                      > challenge with a 1920's version. There's got to be something similar
                      > to Number 14 out there in NYC paint!
                      >
                      > I will get you the old info, but I don't have the Coleco layout. I'm
                      > sure Aaron has that somewhere...
                      >
                      > Gino
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                        I do not have a plan, I will have to see if I have any pictures showing enough detail.

                        Description would be as follows.

                        The main went straight ahead NB from Patch Road and then swung around a very sharp curve and then headed straight down towards Rt 349 thru swamplands and trees with a few small bridges along the way.

                        The curve was on an embankment around a large depression located on the inside of the curve. A few feet north of Patch Rd a switch had the siding coming off the right side (facing RR NB) and this track went down into the depression and then back out again joining the main maybe a quarter mile down from where the curve on the main ended.

                        In the depression or maybe just slightly up the north side of the depression a switch and track came off on the right side (facing RR NB)and headed south into the Coleco building. The track ran along the very West side of the building going pretty much the entire length of the inside. (assuming you are facing RR North when standing at the Patch Rd crossing looking North up the tracks).

                        Finally, there was a siding that came off the right side of the main "runaround" siding just before this track headed into the depression (I am not really sure about the location of this switch). This siding then came back SB towards Patch Rd on the West side of Coleco but outside. They used this siding to unload pellet cars outside for transfer by truck to the Mayfield molding plant.

                        Let me know if I can be of more help.

                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                        > > Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
                        > before they expanded over the mainline?
                        >
                        > Paul :-)

                      • Richard Finn

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                            Good moring Paul,

                            I never did get the MS program.  Put it on my list years ago after your suggestion, but never went there - someday.

                            Regular steam passenger service to Fonda, except for the two Northville trains with the RPO stopped, except for some summertime Sacandaga Park service connections with NYC, in 1905.  The RPO ceased operation May 26, 1917, effectively ending regular steam passenger service of any kind between Northville and Fonda.  As between Gloversville and Fonda, following the construction of the new trolley depot in Johnstown in 1905, except as mention above, all passenger and express service went via the trolley line.

                            All regular steam passenger service, except the mixed train, ceased with the acquisition gas cars 200 and 201 in 1922.

                            I think it is possible to find enough photos to recreate the critical parts of a 1906 FJ&G.  There were very few customer tracks, most of those being installed after 1920.  Aah, I see the incentive for me to break down and invest in the program.

                            Again, very nice.  You are a digital craftsman.

                            PKL

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                              Hi John,

                              Just had a look at some photos that were supplied to me a couple of
                              years ago when I first started drawing the route, now that I know what
                              I'm looking at, they make much more sense to me, thanks!

                              Paul :-)

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                Hi Dick,

                                As I said before, had a lot of help from Gino and many others from this
                                list while doing the route. I might be able to draw but without their
                                help I wouldn't have had a clue what I was drawing!

                                Paul :-)

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                  Hi Paul,

                                  I think the research for an early version of the railroad is going to be
                                  the interesting part. What customers were served, what building existed
                                  back then, were roads all dirt, what tracks were electric... the list
                                  goes on and on... but research is half the fun with a route.

                                  People are saying MS Train Sim is getting hard to find now. If you see
                                  one, grab it. There are people in the TrainSim world who are working on
                                  a replacement for the MicroSoft version, it's called Open Rails... open
                                  as in open source. It will be 100% compatible with files created in
                                  MSTS, so what I create now will be able to be used with Open Rails
                                  (actually have been told by one of the key people they have been using
                                  the FJ&G route for testing). So... even if you can't find MSTS
                                  somewhere, eventually you will be able to fine Open Rails to use in it's
                                  place.

                                  Paul :-)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                    Paul,

                                    From the looks of the tracks there wasn't much engineering done before laying them out.  IIRC the initial installation, 1967, was a facing point switch southward into the plant.  Later, 1970s DO perhaps, a switch was installed creating a single runaround track running from the main at Patch road to track into the plant.  We could guestimate the actual footage and photos will support the relative layout on the ground.  Off the track connecting to Patch road was a spur near Patch road.

                                    PKL

                                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: p.charlie@...
                                    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:05:31 -0400

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                      I'll have to see what I did with the roster!

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:54 AM, "Paul Charland" <p.charlie@...<mailto:p.charlie@...>> wrote:

                                      Hi Gino,

                                      1920-30 sounds interesting... could even have a Curtiss Genny flying past.

                                      You use to have a complete roster on the old website, can't find it on
                                      the new one. Just a text page, can't seem to find it here, do you
                                      remember the name of the file, I probably still have the page?

                                      Paul :-)

                                      On 09/06/2010 11:15 PM, Dicarlo, Gino wrote:
                                      > If it's the Brill 55, it can be between 1920 and 1930. Yes, a long
                                      > time ago. Most of the line wouldn't change much from your 1950's,
                                      > maybe just adding an electric track for the ROW between Gloversville
                                      > Yard and Market Street in Johnstown. You could really have a new
                                      > challenge with a 1920's version. There's got to be something similar
                                      > to Number 14 out there in NYC paint!
                                      >
                                      > I will get you the old info, but I don't have the Coleco layout. I'm
                                      > sure Aaron has that somewhere...
                                      >
                                      > Gino
                                    • Glenn J. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:
                                        > [snip]
                                        >
                                        > I don't know if you care to go for this much detail: in the early fifties there were three yard tracks and a spur for the oil company in the FJ&G Fonda yard, in addition to the turntable lead and the coal track. Without confirming for the purpose of this conversation, the coal track and diamond may have been removed in the late forties, or at least when the Sarris Brothers built there restaurant; I recall stepping over the diamond frog lying in the brush near teh turntable. On the north (west) end the first switch was on the south (east) end of the bridge and the second switch shortly beyond the frog. At the south (east) end of the yard the switch off the siding to the third track was located a few feet further north than the coal track switch, with the Standard Oil switch just beyond the frog. The Standard Oil track came off the second track east (north) of the main track, extending north (west) to a point nearly opposite the north frog of the siding. A picture is worth a thousand words however the map is too big to conveniently scan.
                                        >
                                        > Glenn might be able to add first hand details of what was there in the 50's, when it disappeared and when Sarris' restaurant was built.
                                        >
                                        > PKL

                                        By the mid to late 50s, only the turntable and the track leading to it from the east were left. Sarris' restaurant was built no later than the mid 50s.

                                        Somewhere I have detail pictures of the turntable taken around that time. Time to fire up the scanner!

                                        Glenn
                                        Penacook, NH
                                      • Mark Wilber
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 10, 2010
                                          The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                                            Hi Mark,

                                            Thanks, was there a name given to the run-around track at Coleco?

                                            Paul :-)

                                            On 10/06/2010 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber wrote:
                                            > The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl
                                            > Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools).
                                            > Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the
                                            > building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most
                                            > extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same
                                            > time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark
                                          • Fjgrailroad
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                                              Maybe it was 'vinyl' track that caused the derailments back there.  I seem to recall Mark mentioning something like that...

                                              Sent from my iPhone

                                              On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                                              The siding outside the building that had pellets was called the Vinyl Track,for vinyl pellets unloading (mostly used for swimming pools). Plastic pellets were unloaded inside the building.Inside the building, covered hopper cars with plastic pellets were spotted most extreme south end. Three box cars could also be spotted at the same time,plus room for a locomotive.Mark

                                              I do not have a plan, I will have to see if I have any pictures showing enough detail.

                                              Description would be as follows.

                                              The main went straight ahead NB from Patch Road and then swung around a very sharp curve and then headed straight down towards Rt 349 thru swamplands and trees with a few small bridges along the way.

                                              The curve was on an embankment around a large depression located on the inside of the curve. A few feet north of Patch Rd a switch had the siding coming off the right side (facing RR NB) and this track went down into the depression and then back out again joining the main maybe a quarter mile down from where the curve on the main ended.

                                              In the depression or maybe just slightly up the north side of the depression a switch and track came off on the right side (facing RR NB)and headed south into the Coleco building. The track ran along the very West side of the building going pretty much the entire length of the inside. (assuming you are facing RR North when standing at the Patch Rd crossing looking North up the tracks).

                                              Finally, there was a siding that came off the right side of the main "runaround" siding just before this track headed into the depression (I am not really sure about the location of this switch). This siding then came back SB towards Patch Rd on the West side of Coleco but outside. They used this siding to unload pellet cars outside for transfer by truck to the Mayfield molding plant.

                                              Let me know if I can be of more help.

                                              --- In FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@.. .> wrote:

                                              > > Speaking of track plans, does anyone have a plan for the Coleco tracks
                                              > before they expanded over the mainline?
                                              >
                                              > Paul :-)

                                            • Mark Wilber
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                I think the switch in the hole, (runaround & track to the inside of building) gave us the most problems.Mark