Footage

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 23 , May 27, 2010
      Hello,

      I suppose I should introduce myself briefly. My name is Nick Ozorak, and I became a fan of the FJ&G after discovering Paul Charland's excellent MSTS rendition of the line.

      Does anyone have any footage of the FJ&G or the D&O? It would really be interesting to see the Alcos at work.
      Message 2 of 23 , May 27, 2010
        Hi Nick,

        Thanks for the kind words. Would have been much less accurate without
        the great help from the people on this list.

        Can't really help you with the footage, but I can tell you the other day
        I started converting the 1950s version of the MSTS route to a late 1970s
        version.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 23 , May 27, 2010
          Hi Nick,

          I will try to get something up of the FJ&G in action! I've been trying to get some movies online for people to see. Come to our October get together and maybe we'll show FJ&G steam, trolleys and diesels in action!

          Message 4 of 23 , May 27, 2010
            With the 100 and 103?

            Oh boy!!!
            Message 5 of 23 , May 27, 2010
              Hi Gino,

              Think this is a reply to my message! I was thinking late S-2 days but
              that would also be early RS days, so probably wouldn't hurt to make the
              100 and 103. The route would still run to Broadalbin, not sure when
              Coleco expanded over the mainline.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                Yes, the 100 and 103 comment was directed at you!  The 103 was on the FJ&G in 1979 and atleast one of the S-2s were working.  You could do 1980 when there was a business boom on the FJ&G and they were heading to Broadalbin for DK Fibre and lumber traffic from Lake George.

                I was thinking Pinewood Sawdust too, but that burned around 1976.

                I think COLECO was built between 1970 and 1972.  The track set-up behind COLECO would make for some interesting switching.  Also, around 1980 they started storing some cars out past Patch Road.  It required the crews to pull them out so they could get to Broadalbin.  We'll have to ask Mark where they stashed them to do that!

                Gino

                --
                http://fjgrr.org
                http://ginosrailpage.com
                Message 7 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                  Hi Gino,

                  I'm game for anything close to the upper '70s, some time period where
                  the FJ&G had the ex-Penn Central cars and the new Thrall-Door cars would
                  be fine... also would need to be able to use the entire line to
                  Broadalbin.

                  Some time soon I'll have to start bugging the list to find out what
                  industries were still active, what industries were still standing, and
                  industries where just gone. I have the Harold Russell article from MR
                  1979 but I think it misses a few industries along the way.

                  Paul :-)

                  On 27/05/2010 8:16 PM, Gino's Railpage wrote:
                  > Yes, the 100 and 103 comment was directed at you! The 103 was on the FJ&G
                  > in 1979 and atleast one of the S-2s were working. You could do 1980 when
                  > there was a business boom on the FJ&G and they were heading to Broadalbin
                  > for DK Fibre and lumber traffic from Lake George.
                  >
                  > I was thinking Pinewood Sawdust too, but that burned around 1976.
                  >
                  > I think COLECO was built between 1970 and 1972. The track set-up behind
                  > COLECO would make for some interesting switching. Also, around 1980 they
                  > started storing some cars out past Patch Road. It required the crews to
                  > pull them out so they could get to Broadalbin. We'll have to ask Mark where
                  > they stashed them to do that!
                  >
                  > Gino
                • John
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                    Gino--

                    They were storing loaded hide cars between Patch Road and the Rt 349 crossing and I think, at one point north of 349 also. The cars were right up to 349 so I think it was solid cars all the way from the north switch at Coleco to Rt. 349. I remember watching a couple B'albin moves during this time. I think they were using both 100 and 103 on these moves. If I recall correctly they would pull a cut on the main between the 2 Coleco run around track switches. They would then run around the cars and shove them down towards Gloversville. I believe the southern most cut was parked between Rt 30A and Kingsboro Ave and then filling up between crossings towards Coleco. It was a tedious process to say the least but it was fun to watch.

                    John

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, the 100 and 103 comment was directed at you! The 103 was on the FJ&G
                    > in 1979 and atleast one of the S-2s were working. You could do 1980 when
                    > there was a business boom on the FJ&G and they were heading to Broadalbin
                    > for DK Fibre and lumber traffic from Lake George.
                    >
                    > I was thinking Pinewood Sawdust too, but that burned around 1976.
                    >
                    > I think COLECO was built between 1970 and 1972. The track set-up behind
                    > COLECO would make for some interesting switching. Also, around 1980 they
                    > started storing some cars out past Patch Road. It required the crews to
                    > pull them out so they could get to Broadalbin. We'll have to ask Mark where
                    > they stashed them to do that!
                    >
                    > Gino

                  • johnsesonske
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                      Paul--

                      I am working on a comprehensive list of all active industries on the FJG in the late 70 early 80 time frame along with listing the typical cars they would receive. When I get this done I will post here. I kept a partial log of cars on the FJG in this timeframe so I have some pretty good info. I basically recorded interesting cars or cars coming to infrequest customers like the Kingsboro Ave team track (Northville Building Supply) or NA Taylor, both of which only received a few cars over the years I followed the FJG. I helped Harold Russell with info for that article and you will see me referenced at the end of the article.

                      There is a pretty good industry list on this site already but I am going to add some more detail plus the typical car the industry would get (type and roadnames).

                      John

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                        John,

                        I remember seeing the cut of cars moving forward and back as I crossed 349 one day.  I went back thinking they were coming, but they were just moving them around.  When I later saw cars up to the 349 crossing and beyond it, I don't think Broadalbin was a destination anymore.  The last time I saw a car on the Broadalbin line was the summer of 1981 at the Vail Mills Crossing.  After that winter, the snow always covered the tracks.  I remember some thrall cars being in Broadalbin in 1983, but they got moved towards the end of the year and never saw any cars in Broadalbin in 1984...

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                          Yes John, we all like more info!  Whatever you will share will be a gift!

                          I remember cars at the Glove City Coal siding in Gloversville.  I always wondered who got the car!

                          When you say Taylors, are you talking about Taylor Awning on the back line?  I never saw any cars

                          but the NSL cars stored there, but I did see cars being dropped at The Leader Herald.

                          Gino

                          I am working on a comprehensive list of all active industries on the FJG in the late 70 early 80 time frame along with listing the typical cars they would receive. When I get this done I will post here. I kept a partial log of cars on the FJG in this timeframe so I have some pretty good info. I basically recorded interesting cars or cars coming to infrequest customers like the Kingsboro Ave team track (Northville Building Supply) or NA Taylor, both of which only received a few cars over the years I followed the FJG. I helped Harold Russell with info for that article and you will see me referenced at the end of the article.

                          There is a pretty good industry list on this site already but I am going to add some more detail plus the typical car the industry would get (type and roadnames).

                          John

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Gino,
                          >
                          > I'm game for anything close to the upper '70s, some time period where
                          > the FJ&G had the ex-Penn Central cars and the new Thrall-Door cars
                          would
                          > be fine... also would need to be able to use the entire line to
                          > Broadalbin.
                          >
                          > Some time soon I'll have to start bugging the list to find out what
                          > industries were still active, what industries were still standing, and
                          > industries where just gone. I have the Harold Russell article from MR
                          > 1979 but I think it misses a few industries along the way.
                          >
                          > Paul :-)
                          >
                          > On 27/05/2010 8:16 PM, Gino's Railpage wrote:
                          > > Yes, the 100 and 103 comment was directed at you! The 103 was on the
                          FJ&G
                          > > in 1979 and atleast one of the S-2s were working. You could do 1980
                          when
                          > > there was a business boom on the FJ&G and they were heading to
                          Broadalbin
                          > > for DK Fibre and lumber traffic from Lake George.
                          > >
                          > > I was thinking Pinewood Sawdust too, but that burned around 1976.
                          > >
                          > > I think COLECO was built between 1970 and 1972. The track set-up
                          behind
                          > > COLECO would make for some interesting switching. Also, around 1980
                          they
                          > > started storing some cars out past Patch Road. It required the crews
                          > > pull them out so they could get to Broadalbin. We'll have to ask Mark
                          where
                          > > they stashed them to do that!
                          > >
                          > > Gino

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                            Are you talking about the empty FJG cars they stored north of Coleco?

                            I was referring to the loaded skin cars that were stored north of Coleco during the skin car boom that one summer. They were still running lumber infrequently from B'albin when the skin cars were plugging the line.

                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:

                            > John,
                            >
                            > I remember seeing the cut of cars moving forward and back as I crossed 349 one day. I went back thinking they were coming, but they were just moving them around. When I later saw cars up to the 349 crossing and beyond it, I don't think Broadalbin was a destination anymore. The last time I saw a car on the Broadalbin line was the summer of 1981 at the Vail Mills Crossing. After that winter, the snow always covered the tracks. I remember some thrall cars being in Broadalbin in 1983, but they got moved towards the end of the year and never saw any cars in Broadalbin in 1984...
                            >
                            > Gino

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                              Between approx 1974 and the end I remember maybe 4 or 5 cars being unloaded on the Glove Cities Coal siding (I lived not far from this siding so I saw it everyday). The cars were spotted by the gas station and were mostly if not all for Northville Building Supply. They were lumber except for the last car spotted which was a green LV boxcar with insulation in it.

                              NA Taylor (Marine Division) on South Blvd got 2 rail shipments that I recorded. I believe these were the only 2 and I think they were inbound loads. yes, the L-H got a ton of paper cars before that business went to trucks and the tannery on the south side of Harrison St got occasional skin cars. Yes, when they were storing the NSL cars the L-H spur was plugged with them.

                              On a seperate note, is it true that the LH spur was part of an old electric line alignment as opposed to the steam division?

                              John

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                Hi John.

                                That would be great. I have a list here of the customers from back in
                                the late '50s from when I did the original MSTS route but times, tracks,
                                and customers changed quite a bit over the years. Those customers that
                                only received a few cars a year make things interesting, there are
                                always steady customers you serve on a regular basis, but a little
                                variety sure doesn't hurt.

                                Paul :-)

                                On 27/05/2010 9:24 PM, johnsesonske wrote:
                                > Paul--
                                >
                                > I am working on a comprehensive list of all active industries on the
                                > FJG in the late 70 early 80 time frame along with listing the typical
                                > cars they would receive. When I get this done I will post here. I
                                > kept a partial log of cars on the FJG in this timeframe so I have
                                > some pretty good info. I basically recorded interesting cars or cars
                                > coming to infrequest customers like the Kingsboro Ave team track
                                > (Northville Building Supply) or NA Taylor, both of which only
                                > received a few cars over the years I followed the FJG. I helped
                                > Harold Russell with info for that article and you will see me
                                > referenced at the end of the article.
                                >
                                > There is a pretty good industry list on this site already but I am
                                > going to add some more detail plus the typical car the industry would
                                > get (type and roadnames).
                                >
                                > John
                              • Mark Wilber
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                  It was the most fun that I ever had in my life! Nothing like watching maggots fall from the box cars to the ground,and the smell was something else! Mark

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                                    Actually, I was talking about both!  I remember the skin cars, then the empties, although there were misc. things in them...

                                    Gino

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                                      You'll notice I called the LH spur 'The Back Line.'  This is the original Cayadutta Electric Railroad.  When the CERR and

                                      FJG joined, this line wasn't  used for Fonda traffic much and referred to as the 'Back Line.'  Cars for Fonda went down the line and turned at King's Junction (Right At Present Day Romano's Pizza) and turned on Miller Street and continued to Perry.  There it joined the electric and steam division near the Fairground whistle stop.  The Johnstown Sub-Station was also located on The Backline (One time Sears Catalog Store) and it was the CERR's powerhouse in the early days.

                                      The mill on the other side of Harrison Street that got skins was The Parkhurst Mill and it was there when trolleys were passing by her.  When I lived in Gloversville, you could see the backline's old ROW (Right Past The Arterial) and a whistle post.  I always wondered what the whistle post was for.  At the time I figured the track that ended at The Parkhurst Mill went a little further to who knows what.  It was also called 'The Hair Mill.'

                                      Here's a question for Paul:  Did the steam division use the backline pre-1936 to service the mill or did not get service until after the electric line's abandonment?

                                      Gino

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                        Gino and all,

                                        No.  Different seniority districts and unions too.

                                        PKL

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                                          Then did they get service from someone?  The union for the CERR was different from the FJ&G and was

                                          the union different between the FJ&G's steam and electric different?

                                          Gino

                                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                            The CE, electric division of the FJ&G, took care of themselves with the Mamie (loco which held the No. 11 spot until 1901).  That locomotive took care of the coal for the power plant and work trains.  When Mamie wasn't available, one of the box motors or cars would do the hauling.  Mamie was no longer needed when motor No. 1 was constructed by the FJ&G.  I'd have to do some digging to discover when that customer track was put in, but it certainly wasn't in place before the CE built the line by the mill which makes the hair mill a CE customer.

                                            Yes, each company's men were represented by different unions.  The electric road had their own organizations and the steam line had the usual, BLE, BLF&E, ORC, BRT etc.

                                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                                            Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:50:55 -0500

                                            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 25, 2010
                                              I hope no one minds if I bump this post. Is there anyone who has FJ&G footage that could be uploaded to YouTube? I would really appreciate it!

                                              Nick

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010

                                                I'm working on it Nick.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 27, 2010
                                                  Thanks, Gino! I'm especially interested in any diesel footage that may exist.

                                                  Nick