Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Enginehouse

    Message 1 of 23 , May 25, 2010
      Someone told me that every once in a while engines were kept in Hussman.

      Gino

      On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM, John <jsesonske@...> wrote:

      I am not sure when the Fonda enginehouse was built but I know it was in place as early as 1974 when I started paying attention to the FJ&G. I would be interested in any info anyone has on the rationale for building the enginehouse. The plan might have been to operate out of Fonda but I know that, for the most part from 1974 thru the end of operations they could start and finish in several places including Fonda, Gloversville or Coleco Patch Rd. In the mid 70's 20 and 21 were still being kept in the Gloversville enginehouse for the most part. Later on, I do not believe 103 or 100 went in the Gloversville enginehouse very often if ever. In the later 70's and early 80's the engines would usually spend the night outside at Gloversville yard, outside at Patch Rd or inside at Patch Rd or inside or outside in Fonda depending on weather.

      If I had to guess, I would say that from 1974 until the end Gloversville was most common starting point, Coleco Patch Rd second most common start point and Fonda the third.

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 25, 2010
        We never used taxi's back then. We would drive our own cars back n forth.I did something that no other engineer did back then; In a 24 hour period, I worked all four lines- FJG,LASB,CACV & CNY!

        From: jsesonske@aol. com
        Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Enginehouse

        Message 3 of 23 , May 25, 2010
          No,engines were never kept at Hussmans while I was there.

          Message 4 of 23 , May 25, 2010

            I thought You told me something about a taxi Mark.  Sorry for the confusion.  Did you tell me you

            once left the engine in Broadalbin and had to take a taxi home because you were gonna get OT and

            that was a no-no?

            Gino

            From: jsesonske@aol. com
            Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

            Message 5 of 23 , May 25, 2010

              That was a story I heard from the guy who took your place Mark.  He told me that there were spots to

              lay the engine over if it got too late.  Coleco, Hussman, NIMO and the Omnicology lab.  That was a long

              time ago, maybe I understood him wrong?

              Gino

              Message 6 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                Oh,we,ve put engines on Hussman's siding overnight,but not inside.

                Message 7 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                  Oops, I didn't notice that.  I meant to say the engines were kept AT Hussman.  I didn't mean inside.

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                    We use to get a taxi in a blue moon around the FJG area,but from FJG to CACV or CNY,we would drive ourselves.We never got paid overtime on the FJG,all straight time.

                    From: jsesonske@aol. com
                    Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                      Then maybe it was the law then.  You were only supposed to work so many hours in a 24 hour period you would get close to that?  I'll get this right sooner or later!

                      Gino

                      From: jsesonske@aol. com
                      Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                        I've been thinking about this Mark!  Having visited the LASB last year, I noticed that she is FAR from here!  What did you do?  Start at the FJ&G at 7?  Move cars around the yard until 10 am?  Go to Richfield Springs around 11:30 am, grab a car from West Winfield and finish around 2:30 pm?  Make the quick drive down to Milford around 3:30 pm and bring something to the Junction?  OK, I give up.  Honesdale has got to be around an hour and a half from Milford!

                        Gino

                        Ok, one more guess!  Get to Lackawaxen around 8:30 pm and bring cars to Honesdale finishing around Midnight?

                        From: jsesonske@aol. com
                        Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                          I was working on the LASB for a couple of days. On the last day I worked until about 7pm. The next day I drove to Milford(CACV) from Honesdale Pa.Did some switching in Milford. Then drove to Richfield Springs(CNY),and switched out the feed company.Then drove to Fonda(FJG),and took about 5 or 6 hide cars from Fonda Yard to Karg Bros. in Johnstown,then ran light back to Fonda. I worked on all 4 lines within a 24 hour period.Mark

                          From: jsesonske@aol. com
                          Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                            Silly me was thinking you did it on the same day.  That's still pretty neat to run all the lines!  Did you ever work on the Staten Island RR or the Rahway Valley?

                            Gino

                            From: jsesonske@aol. com
                            Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                              I didnt work the 4 in one shift,I worked the 4 in a 24 hour period.Mark

                              From: jsesonske@aol. com
                              Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                Never got down there.There was a brakeman (last name was Brooks) that worked with Bob Morey before Walt bought the FJG.After Walt picked up the FJG,this Brooks decided to leave and ended up working at the Rahway Valley.Eventually when Walt got the Rahway Valley, this Brooks decided to retire. He said he wasnt working under Walts regime!Mark

                                From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                  Alfred Brooks, Brooksie.  Exceptionally nice fellow, good natured; worked with Joe Born under Percy Daniels keeping the locomotives and trucks running.  Henry Waffle, Jr., Asst. Treasurer and auditor, in the GO also went to the RV following Bernie Cahill, last GM of the FJ&G, IIRC.

                                  PKL

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mwilber2001@...
                                  Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:54:55 -0700

                                  From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                  Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 28, 2010
                                    All those names Ive only met Al Brooks. The others I never met,but know the names very well from working with Bob Morey.Mark

                                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                    From: mwilber2001@ yahoo.com
                                    Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:54:55 -0700

                                    From: jsesonske@aol. com