Fonda Enginehouse

    Message 1 of 23 , May 24, 2010
      Hi All,

      Does anyone no when the new enginehouse in Fonda was built. I take it
      this would also be the time that operations shifted to a single round
      trip beginning and ending in Fonda.

      Paul :-)
    • John
      Message 2 of 23 , May 24, 2010
        I am not sure when the Fonda enginehouse was built but I know it was in place as early as 1974 when I started paying attention to the FJ&G. I would be interested in any info anyone has on the rationale for building the enginehouse. The plan might have been to operate out of Fonda but I know that, for the most part from 1974 thru the end of operations they could start and finish in several places including Fonda, Gloversville or Coleco Patch Rd. In the mid 70's 20 and 21 were still being kept in the Gloversville enginehouse for the most part. Later on, I do not believe 103 or 100 went in the Gloversville enginehouse very often if ever. In the later 70's and early 80's the engines would usually spend the night outside at Gloversville yard, outside at Patch Rd or inside at Patch Rd or inside or outside in Fonda depending on weather.

        If I had to guess, I would say that from 1974 until the end Gloversville was most common starting point, Coleco Patch Rd second most common start point and Fonda the third.

        Message 3 of 23 , May 25, 2010
          The shed was built by DO thus if you recall it in '74 it must have been built in that first year.

          When erecting the engine shed at Fonda my understanding is as you expressed, that operations would originate at Fonda each day.   I recall someone telling me that it was more convenient for the operating crews because they ran the Richfied Springs trains as well.  Now when that joint use of crews started I do not know.

          This plan met serious difficulty with the first snow storm; the train couldn't get up the hill with snow over the rail.  Hence back to Gloversville, at least in the winter months.  That was not, so far as I could determine, why the FJ&G established their operating base at the top of the hill in 1870.   Merely a fact of geography and physics, not thought of until after the location was moved.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: jsesonske@...
          Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Fonda Enginehouse

          Message 4 of 23 , May 25, 2010
            I have heard that another reason for the small engine shed at Fonda had to do with the cost of heating the Gloversville engine facilities.  Those large brick buildings would have cost an arm and a leg to heat during the energy shortages (oil crisis) of the 1970s.  The decision was made, I recall being told by someone "in the know," perhaps Walter Rich himself, or perhaps Dave Nestle, that the Gloversville shops would not be heated during DO years.  That little shed in Fonda was a lot easier to heat due to its small size.  If you recall, another decision was made to hold a locomotive inside at Coleco as that building was already being heated by Coleco; I suspect that some of the runs originated there during the winter months (especially if plowing was necessary).

            I suppose the real question (perhaps Mark Wilber could help us out?) is whether one locomotive was kept in Fonda while another was kept at Coleco.  Then, if a large snowfall occurred, was the northern engine used rather than the southern engine?  And if there was no snowfall, was the southern engine used for convenience?

            Message 5 of 23 , May 25, 2010
              Someone told me that every once in a while engines were kept in Hussman.

              Gino

              --
              http://fjgrr.org
              http://ginosrailpage.com
              Message 6 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                I remember in the last months of operation the 103 was kept outside at Coleco.
                I'm thinking the fumes that gassed the employees was a good reason for that.

                In 1983, I remember the 103 always being parked in the same place, right in front of the freight office.

                Gino

                  From: jsesonske@...
                  Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                  I am not sure when the Fonda enginehouse was built but I know it was in place as early as 1974 when I started paying attention to the FJ&G. I would be interested in any info anyone has on the rationale for building the enginehouse. The plan might have been to operate out of Fonda but I know that, for the most part from 1974 thru the end of operations they could start and finish in several places including Fonda, Gloversville or Coleco Patch Rd. In the mid 70's 20 and 21 were still being kept in the Gloversville enginehouse for the most part. Later on, I do not believe 103 or 100 went in the Gloversville enginehouse very often if ever. In the later 70's and early 80's the engines would usually spend the night outside at Gloversville yard, outside at Patch Rd or inside at Patch Rd or inside or outside in Fonda depending on weather.

                  If I had to guess, I would say that from 1974 until the end Gloversville was most common starting point, Coleco Patch Rd second most common start point and Fonda the third.

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > Does anyone no when the new enginehouse in Fonda was built. I take it
                  > this would also be the time that operations shifted to a single round
                  > trip beginning and ending in Fonda.
                  >
                  > Paul :-)

                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://ginosrailpage.com
                  http://ginostrolleypage.com
                  http://ginosmusicservice.com
                • Mark Wilber
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                    My understanding of the size of the shed was due to the amount of land that had to be bought from the Oil company next to the shed. My understanding Walter had to buy the siding from them. It was heated from a small coal furnace that used rice coal.The furnace had to be stoked and ash's cleaned out every morning and evening. No exhaust fans either,started up the engine and got it outdoors quickly as possible,so you wouldnt overcome by the fumes.Waited for about 10 minutes for the smoke to clear,then went in to close up everything. At the end of our job, when we would put the engines away,we'd have the doors open,bring the engines down towards the building,then shut them down while moving,and glide into the shed so there wouldnt be any exhaust.
                     At times we would have another unit inside Coleco. The big problem with that was the engines had to be fired up and outside by 6am. That was also due to the exhaust. They wanted the building to be cleared of exhaust before the workers came to work at 7am. Before that rule came in effect,one day several Coleco employees went home sick.

[...]

                    -Aaron

                  • Mark Wilber
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                      We never used taxi's back then. We would drive our own cars back n forth.I did something that no other engineer did back then; In a 24 hour period, I worked all four lines- FJG,LASB,CACV & CNY!

                      From: jsesonske@aol. com
                      Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                        No,engines were never kept at Hussmans while I was there.

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                          I thought You told me something about a taxi Mark.  Sorry for the confusion.  Did you tell me you

                          once left the engine in Broadalbin and had to take a taxi home because you were gonna get OT and

                          that was a no-no?

                          Gino

                          From: jsesonske@aol. com
                          Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                            That was a story I heard from the guy who took your place Mark.  He told me that there were spots to

                            lay the engine over if it got too late.  Coleco, Hussman, NIMO and the Omnicology lab.  That was a long

                            time ago, maybe I understood him wrong?

                            Gino

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                              Oh,we,ve put engines on Hussman's siding overnight,but not inside.

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                                Oops, I didn't notice that.  I meant to say the engines were kept AT Hussman.  I didn't mean inside.

                                Gino

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                                  We use to get a taxi in a blue moon around the FJG area,but from FJG to CACV or CNY,we would drive ourselves.We never got paid overtime on the FJG,all straight time.

                                  From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                  Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 25, 2010

                                    Then maybe it was the law then.  You were only supposed to work so many hours in a 24 hour period you would get close to that?  I'll get this right sooner or later!

                                    Gino

                                    From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                    Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                      I've been thinking about this Mark!  Having visited the LASB last year, I noticed that she is FAR from here!  What did you do?  Start at the FJ&G at 7?  Move cars around the yard until 10 am?  Go to Richfield Springs around 11:30 am, grab a car from West Winfield and finish around 2:30 pm?  Make the quick drive down to Milford around 3:30 pm and bring something to the Junction?  OK, I give up.  Honesdale has got to be around an hour and a half from Milford!

                                      Gino

                                      Ok, one more guess!  Get to Lackawaxen around 8:30 pm and bring cars to Honesdale finishing around Midnight?

                                      From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                      Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                        I was working on the LASB for a couple of days. On the last day I worked until about 7pm. The next day I drove to Milford(CACV) from Honesdale Pa.Did some switching in Milford. Then drove to Richfield Springs(CNY),and switched out the feed company.Then drove to Fonda(FJG),and took about 5 or 6 hide cars from Fonda Yard to Karg Bros. in Johnstown,then ran light back to Fonda. I worked on all 4 lines within a 24 hour period.Mark

                                        From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                        Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 27, 2010

                                          Silly me was thinking you did it on the same day.  That's still pretty neat to run all the lines!  Did you ever work on the Staten Island RR or the Rahway Valley?

                                          Gino

                                          From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                          Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                            I didnt work the 4 in one shift,I worked the 4 in a 24 hour period.Mark

                                            From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                            Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                              Never got down there.There was a brakeman (last name was Brooks) that worked with Bob Morey before Walt bought the FJG.After Walt picked up the FJG,this Brooks decided to leave and ended up working at the Rahway Valley.Eventually when Walt got the Rahway Valley, this Brooks decided to retire. He said he wasnt working under Walts regime!Mark

                                              From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                              Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 27, 2010
                                                Alfred Brooks, Brooksie.  Exceptionally nice fellow, good natured; worked with Joe Born under Percy Daniels keeping the locomotives and trucks running.  Henry Waffle, Jr., Asst. Treasurer and auditor, in the GO also went to the RV following Bernie Cahill, last GM of the FJ&G, IIRC.

                                                PKL

                                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: mwilber2001@...
                                                Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:54:55 -0700

                                                From: jsesonske@aol. com
                                                Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:09:06 +0000

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 28, 2010
                                                  All those names Ive only met Al Brooks. The others I never met,but know the names very well from working with Bob Morey.Mark

                                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                                  From: mwilber2001@ yahoo.com
                                                  Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:54:55 -0700

                                                  From: jsesonske@aol. com