Re: [FJGRailroad] RE: [dandh] Re: Ride on Amtrak

  • Charles Vosburgh
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 6:27 PM
      Joe and everyone:  Like you I have been traveling but in a truck helping my neighbor deliver seed corn and other seed around the state and have seen many railroad items of interest so here we go.
      First, today I had to go to Beaver River, NY and there was a few people riding a Speeder with a trailer at the crossing in New Bremen on  NY Rt 812  Wanted to talk with them after I made my delivery but they had moved on down the line.  This is the Lowville and Beaver River line.
      Second, the warehouse that I go to in Sodus NY is on the Ontario Midland line and they are storing between 50 & 75 tank cars on the East end of the line between Alton and North Rose NY.  The line is still intact to Wolcott but dormant from Alton.  The line to the west seems to be busy as last week there was a west bound train with 7 or 8 cars behind their RS-11.
      Third,  the line from Utica to Sangerfield is still moving grain cars to all three feed mills at that location.  Line looks to be in good shape from RT 8
      Finaly,  last week I checked on Cooperstown Junction and the two GG-1s and the two FL-9s are still in the same place as last year.  Trains magazine did a story on the GG-1s last year and stated the ownership but nothing has happened.  Charlie
      From: dnhreshivik@ bellsouth. net
      Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:17:06 +0000
      Subject: [dandh] Re: Ride on Amtrak

      Under Amtrak's "Yield Management" policy purchasing a ticket at the station same day of travel could be quite expensive. They've gotten like the airlines penalizing passengers for spur-of-the- moment travel. Purchasing several weeks to months in advance can save you substantial money.

      Rick Shivik

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 9:41 PM

        Wow Charlie, you've been all over!  Did you get any photos up on the L&BR?  I would really like to go up there and get some shots!  Heck, I'd like a speeder ride also.  That rail must be in bad shape, right?

        Gino

        From: dnhreshivik@...
        Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:17:06 +0000

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6 1:27 PM
          Gino;  No photos but track is still in place and line appears to be open from what I can see from the highway with just grass growing on the row.  Crossings and bridge overe the Black River are still in place.  That was my thought about a ride too.  Charlie

          From: dnhreshivik@ bellsouth. net
          Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:17:06 +0000