RE: [FJGRailroad] Alco Switcher - FJ&G Paint?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2010
      For the record, because I seem to have thrown Aaron under the bus here, he asked me about painting the engine in an FJ&G livery. At that moment, I thought it was a good idea. Having been on the railroad yesterday I am painfully aware of what the management wants to do. The gist of that conversation is below.

      My apologies to my esteemed colleague for the unexplained change in gears.....

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: riverlinejoe@...
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:28:24 +0000
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Alco Switcher - FJ&G Paint?

      I can tell you that the paint job on the engine is likely to stay a while. The engine, from what I have been told, is in out of the box condition.

      The RS-1 is in a NYC inspired livery with the lightening stripe. The 407 will not get repainted anytime soon and I would bet, with the plans to get the railroad operating from end to end, if it ever gets repainted it will match the 401.

      Plans are afoot to get 2361 into a matching livery and restore that unit to operating condition. I understand those two can be MUed.

      For you armchair railfans (I do not mean to insult anyone in particular, just everyone in general who has not picked up a spike maul or paintbrush) the task of painting is daunting.

      I have something on the order of 30 man days involved in the return to operation of our CV 40 foot flatcar. Scraping, cleaning, needlescaling, priming and painting are not for the faint of heart. Working in the outdoors under the beating sun can really wear you out. We are two or three days from completing the re-decking of the car and placing that car back in service.

      An FJ&G inspired scheme would be nice but it probably will not go on the 407.

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

      The issue with the CMRR is that its a former NYC line.  For historical integrity an NYC paint scheme would be the only proper paint scheme.  For CMRR they may want to choos a new scheme fit for their visioning, but why would they want to copy the FJ&G traction colors on an S1?

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
      Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

      The issue with the NYC scheme is that it's black... a photographer' s nightmare.

      The CMRR didn't paint its RS-1 in NYC colors but I don't know the reason why.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2010
        No offense taken, I'm used to being thrown under the bus; although for sake of argument I'd rather be thrown under the train.  This is a railroad list, isn't it?

        More than ten years ago I floated the idea of painting one of the CACV engines into FJ&G colors, but the LRHS already had paint on hand from the D&H shops in Oneonta.

        I don't disagree with the argument that pure NYC colors would be a more historically-accurate look.  However, one of these days I hope to see my dream fulfilled of chasing a switcher painted in cream, orange, and black.

        -Aaron

        To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

        From: pklarner@hotmail. com
        Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

        To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
        From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
        Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

        The issue with the NYC scheme is that it's black... a photographer' s nightmare.

        The CMRR didn't paint its RS-1 in NYC colors but I don't know the reason why.

      • Dean Splittgerber
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2010
          Quote......"However, one of these days I hope to see my dream fulfilled of chasing a switcher painted in cream, orange, and black."

          My Answer.....Buy somebody the paint and it could happen. Imron is only going for $250 a Gallon right now!....Your single and have money to burn!

          Dean

          Dean J. Splittgerber
          Duanesburg, NY

          To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

          From: pklarner@hotmail. com
          Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
          From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
          Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2010

            When the CACV acquired the S-4 and S-7 from Canada, even before they arrived on the property I talked to Bruce from the LRHS and asked the same thing Aaron.  His answer was, buy the paint and paint it FJ&G.

            I didn't think anyone else would have been interested in chipping in.

            I thought the CMRR had their own paint scheme.  I figured they'd paint it up like the RS1 they have in Kingston...

            Gino

            To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

            From: pklarner@hotmail. com
            Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
            Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

            The issue with the NYC scheme is that it's black... a photographer' s nightmare.

            The CMRR didn't paint its RS-1 in NYC colors but I don't know the reason why.

          • Gordon Davis
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2010

              I know this will not earn me any points, however here is my opinion.
              Why should 'they' paint it to satisfy us?  Want to have an FJ&G switcher, buy one and paint it ourselves.
              Gordon

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2010
                I think that's what most people think Gordon!

                http://fjgrr.org
                http://ginosrailpage.com
                http://ginostrolleypage.com
                http://ginosmusicservice.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                  I would participate in that if you thought there was a reasonable chance of pulling it off.......

                  By the way, I have the paint diagrams fore the #20.

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                  To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                  From: pklarner@hotmail. com
                  Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
                  Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2010
                    That was years ago Joe!

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    ________________________________
                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                    To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com

                    From: pklarner@hotmail. com
                    Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 00:46:16 -0400

                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com<http://yahoo.com/>
                    Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:39 -0700

                    The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5>

                    The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4>

                    The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Get started.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3>

                    Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1>