Ride on Amtrak

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2010
      I rode from Depew to Amsterdam today and saw a few things that may be of interest to all......

      At Depew I saw A train powered by two CP units and an NS unit running on a track parallel to the four track Waterlevel Main but a couple hundred yards to the south. Is this the main to Hornell?

      At Syracuse, there was a train with two Soo SD-50s(?) and a blue Chicago & ??? Eastern.

      There was a coal train at Rochester and they had standby air on the rear but no power. I saw this again at Dewitt where I could clearly see the air hoses going over the tracks to two seperate cuts of cars.

      CSX is doing tie work on track 2 near MP 400. The work zone was 7 miles according to the Conductor.

      CSX seems to be renewing the interlockings  sort of "In-Kind" under traffic. At at least every other interlocking between the Tie Gang and Amsterdam, there seemed to be work going on. It looks like they are replacing points and the curved rail in the switch along with some grinding and welding. At some points there were new points sitting in a "kit" and other places you could see where they replaced select timbers.

      They also seem to be renewsing if not removing old farm crossings. In Canastota they looked like they were preparing to sever the old siding/Team track and put in a new switch.

      At Rochester they seemed to be doing all kinds of work. I am not familiar with the interlocking at the Station but it seemed like we moved along at a snail's pace forever.

      In Fonda CSX is doing some major drainage work between the old scale track and the "FJ&G" interchange. There are also two MofW flats and it looks like the equipment was being used on track two.

      Jus a few observations I thought you all might enjoy......