History Gone in Amsterdam

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 23, 2010
      A question for the group:

      On Route 5 in Amsterdam, just east of the little brick Amtrak station, there exists a series of tall steel power poles between the road and the present CSX tracks.

      It has been suggested in the past that these may have been part of the FJ&G power lines leading into the city.

      If this is true, then perhaps a few people in the area would care to know that the poles are being replaced.  At least one, possibly more, were taken down today.

      The rest may be gone by the time I drive through for work tomorrow.

      I will attempt to bring my camera and see what I can see tomorrow.

      Were these actually FJ&G?

      -Aaron

    • peter sefton
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

        Someone should try to rescue an actual pole.

        Peter S.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
          Aaron, are those the ones along West Main St near the Lock?

          If my memory serves those poles are/were four sided steel trusses that weigh 2,000-3,000 lbs.

          Perhaps one would make a nice monument/sculpture piece on the FMCC Grounds.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
            Regarding the FJ&G power transmission poles, there may be a more authentic home for them at a trolley museum.
            Seashore has the catenary supports from the Rochester & Syracuse.
            Gordon
            .

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
              They're all metal!

              Sent from my iPhone

              ________________________________

            • psefton@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

                I didn't mean pick it up.

                I may have some shots from an expedition I took with Jerry. I will try to post tonight.

                But it would look great to put up one as a sample at a museum. They look like modern sculptures, if I am thinking of the correct poles.

                Peter S.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                  Yes, those are the ones.

                  I'm going to try to run down with my camera on the way to work in Albany today and get a couple shots.

                  I think two were down yesterday when I drove home around midnight.

                  -Aaron

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                    Yes, those are authentic FJ&G supports (perhaps Edison Light & Power Co., East Creek or later Adirondack Power and Light) used to carry the power from the Tribes Hill plant location to the substation on Henrietta street.  The six conductors were high tension transmission lines separate from the power used to operate the trolleys.  The poles used to carry power to the trolleys were wooden out along the interurban lines.

                    PKL

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

                      Jerry posted a photo once of the mills along Route 5 on the West end of Amsterdam.  You can see those power lines in the photo.  I don't know what you call those.  I hate to say pole being that they are big, metal, riveted monsters.  I was gonna guess they weighed a ton, but probably more.  I'd love to see how they cart them out of there!

                      We must need more shells for Afghanistan and Iraq!

                      Gino

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                        I'll run down and take a look at the status tonight.  The one right at the base of Henrietta is about twice the width of the others - this is where the line made a 90 degree turn and headed up to the substation, so that's the one that had the most stress on it.  i guess even the smaller ones probably weigh too much to throw one on my truck.....
                        Jerry

                        To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                          Well, I just went down and checked and all three of the smaller poles are down and laying on the side of the street near their original positions.  They were cut off about 10 feet down from the top (below the crossarms) and then burned off at ground level.  Other than an old "Danger High Voltage" sign near the base and some stenciled lettering "ERIE STREET GUY PARK" on one vertical member I didn't see any markings - no "Property of FJ&G" or the like.  The one bigger tower is still there and doesn't appear to have been touched.  And they wouldn't fit in my truck....
                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                            Get a bigger truck!

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: handyman756@...
                            Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:16:32 -0700

                            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

                              Joe,

                              You should drive your conversion van up to Amsterdam and put one of those towers in the back.  I bet you could do it!

                              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                                I bought an A-4-D track car and a trailer wioth a 16 foot deck, Amsterdam here I come!

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                                Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:39:32 -0500

                                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

                                  Now I know you could do it!

                                  I bought an A-4-D track car and a trailer wioth a 16 foot deck, Amsterdam here I come!

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                                  Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:39:32 -0500

                                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                                    If the van can make it up the Mountain Lake Electric ROW, the streets of Amsterdam are a piece of cake.........

                                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                                    Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:39:32 -0500

                                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010

                                      I was thinking the same thing!  I still laugh at the water dept workers looking at your van and saying "No way that thing is getting up the hill!"

                                      If the van can make it up the Mountain Lake Electric ROW, the streets of Amsterdam are a piece of cake.........

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: Gino.Dicarlo@...
                                      Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:39:32 -0500

                                      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 24, 2010
                                        Yes but it wouldn't make it back!! LOL

                                        PKL

                                        To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: riverlinejoe@...
                                        Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 02:11:27 +0000

                                        If the van can make it up the Mountain Lake Electric ROW, the streets of Amsterdam are a piece of cake........ .

                                        To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                        From: Gino.Dicarlo@ qg.com
                                        Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:39:32 -0500

                                        To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                                        From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
                                        Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:54:50 -0700

                                        A question for the group:

                                        On Route 5 in Amsterdam, just east of the little brick Amtrak station, there exists a series of tall steel power poles between the road and the present CSX tracks.

                                        It has been suggested in the past that these may have been part of the FJ&G power lines leading into the city.

                                        If this is true, then perhaps a few people in the area would care to know that the poles are being replaced.  At least one, possibly more, were taken down today.

                                        The rest may be gone by the time I drive through for work tomorrow.

                                        I will attempt to bring my camera and see what I can see tomorrow.

                                        Were these actually FJ&G?

                                        Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn More.
                                      • Jerry Snyder
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 28, 2010
                                          They were up on the last tower (the big one) yesterday moving wires to a new pole - wouldn't be surprised if that one is gone too in a few days.  The remains of the others have been hauled away.
                                          Jerry

                                          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com