Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Flanger

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 8 6:08 PM
      I'll answer.

      No, the Northville flanger is not the same flanger.  The Northville flanger was purchased from the D&H in the 1950s and is a standard D&H design.

      At least two former D&H flangers are in service:  one on the Vermont Railway out of Rutland; the other on the Batten Kill out of Greenwich, New York.

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 8 8:47 PM
        Hello Charlie,

        The old flanger 10 was inded built from an old "hay" car or box car as we would know it. The flanger along the right of way south of Sacandaga Park, S-2, was purchased from the D&H in 1957.  I have not discovered its D&H number.  I believe there are a still few D&H flangers like it to be found around.

        Paul

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: crvosburgh@...
        Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Flanger

        Paul;  I was going through some of my old Model Railroader magazines when I found a story about the FJ&G flanger that the railroad had built in 1890 in their own shops.  The car was numbered 10 and was a 30' box car with wood beam trucks.  David L. Waddington drew the plans for this car from official railroad blueprints for the magazine and the story was in the January 1955 issue.  The story had three photos of the car as well.  Was the flanger in Northville the same one with the changes to how it is now?  I don't have a scaner to make copies so I can't pass this story to you.  The story says that the car was still in service at the time the story was published.  Charlie

      • Charles Vosburgh
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 9 1:49 AM
          Thanks Gino, Aaron, and Paul for the info,  never know what you might find in the old magazines.  Charlie

          To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
          From: crvosburgh@citlink. net
          Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 9 7:42 PM
            I've got to look for that issue now!

            Gino

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: crvosburgh@...
            Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:36:46 -0500

            Paul;  I was going through some of my old Model Railroader magazines when I found a story about the FJ&G flanger that the railroad had built in 1890 in their own shops.  The car was numbered 10 and was a 30' box car with wood beam trucks.  David L. Waddington drew the plans for this car from official railroad blueprints for the magazine and the story was in the January 1955 issue.  The story had three photos of the car as well.  Was the flanger in Northville the same one with the changes to how it is now?  I don't have a scaner to make copies so I can't pass this story to you.  The story says that the car was still in service at the time the story was published.  Charlie

            http://fjgrr.org
            http://ginosrailpage.com
            http://ginostrolleypage.com
            http://ginosmusicservice.com
          • Charles Vosburgh
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 10 5:41 PM
              Gino;  You also might want to look for the July1966 issue of Trains magazine for a story on the Brill Bullets by William D Middleton.  It includes a short description of the FJ&G cars.  Charlie

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 10 6:53 PM
                I may have that!

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com