FW: [HudsonRiverRailLines] Re: Brookvilles to BN Yard

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2010

      To: HudsonRiverRailLines@yahoogroups.com
      From: dgianna@...
      Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:13:38 -0800
      Subject: RE: [HudsonRiverRailLines] Re: Brookvilles to BN Yard

      Love that one! :)

      --- On Tue, 1/19/10, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com> wrote:

      From: joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@ hotmail.com>
      To: "Hudson Lines" <hudsonriverrailline s@yahoogroups. com>, "delaware hudson" <dandh@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 11:03 PM

      I have told this story before...... I think it is time to hear it again.

      About 1990, my buddy joined the US Navy. He was an older recruit but it was something he wanted to do. So off he went to Great Lakes Naval Station. The plan was to meet in Chicago when he had a weekend pass.

      I arrived on Friday afternoon at O'Hare, rented a car and made off for the north west side of town. Now It was a long time ago and I do not remember exactly where this was except to say that the Holiday Inn we stayed at was all of three minutes from the Belt Railway of Chicago Clearing Yard.

      I scoped out the Clearing Yard and I will tell you that I was practicing Commando Railfanning long before the term was coined. What I discovered was that there was a pretty good vantage point right next to the Belt Railway Police Department building alongside the yard. The thing was that while the Belt Railway PD was out looking for whatever, they did not bother me parked right next to thier building.

      There was a tail track that went out across the dirt parking lot. There were three or four or more Santa Fe low nosed SDs sitting there. I could not wait to show Bob.

      Saturday morning I met my buddy and we went railfanning Chicago. We went here and there including driving straight into the Conrail TOFC yard at what I think might have been the old PRR 59th street TOFC Yard. In photos, and out. Then we went to the Clearing Yard. The plan was to catch thier C424's but when I pulled into the parking lot I recall telling Bob that I have to show you these funny looking SDs.

      Bob looked at me and remarked how different they looked. We were from the East and did not see Santa Fe units....not ever......

      "But what does the ST spray painted under the cab mean?"

      "Well Bob", I remarked, "The only thing I can think of is something called the Springfield Terminal, but that can't be because that railroad stopped operating. Besides its only seven miles long".

      We then went to Rondout Tower and witness the hooping up of orders at midnight in 6 degree weather while big SD's pounded the crossing. The operator was someone from "back east" that I met through the railfan news network (Before the internet) and he showed us how to tie the knot in the string that held the train order. Because I am sure that person is still on the railroad I can not share that train order with you. But it hangs in the "Archives" just a few feet away on a train order hoop.

      And that is a repeat "From The Archives"

      HEY WHAT IS IN YOUR ARCHIVES?

      I yelled. WHAT'S IN YOUR ARCHIVES?

      To: brent1483@comcast. net
      CC: HudsonRiverRailLine s@yahoogroups. com
      From: dgianna@yahoo. com
      Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:40:58 -0800

      Sloppy?
      Nah, not as sloppy as a Guilford CF7 I once saw in Schenectady on the D&H. Still in Santa Fe livery, it had &quot;speed lettered&quot; with a can of spray paint - the &quot;Santa Fe&quot; logo beneath the cab window was crossed out with an X and above was srayed &quot;ST&quot; for Springfield Terminal (or sloppy train?).
      :)

      http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 196390706/ direct/01/