Fulton County Coal Question

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2010
      Was the Coal shed at the Fulton Street Yard and the Silos at Kingsboro Ave owned by the same coal company? Does any one know the last year the Kingsboro Ave silos were used?

      John
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2010
        John,

        No.  The silos you speak of at Kingsboro Ave. were the property of the Glove City Coal Company.  The railroad's coal house at Kingsboro was on East 11th Ave. about a block below Kingsboro Ave.  The switch was just off the south side of  E. 11th Ave.

        Off the top of my head I do not know when Glove City closed their business.  Glove City Coal and Oil is listed in the 1970 city directory under Coal Dealers, but not in the general list of businesses nor at their address of 208 Kingsboro Ave.  Modern Signs is the business at that address in 1970 and following directories.  The coal company is not mentioned in the 1971 directory and later.  It appears they may have been the last coal supplier in Gloversville.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: jsesonske@...
        Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:23:28 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fulton County Coal Question

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 16, 2010
          Hi John,

          Glover City Coal was owned by the Reading Railroad, they built many of
          these same silos all over the northeast.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2010
            Glove City Coal Company was a locally owned company.  Somewhere I have seen the name of the family that started the business, whom IIRC, had their home on Broad street in Gloversville.   By 1940 Joel W. Ager had become the proprietor.  The subsequent owner was also a Gloversville resident.

            A study into the history of the Gloversville coal businesses, and the families behind them, would be interesting reading to the student of Gloversville's history.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: p.charlie@...
            Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:37:59 -0500

            Hi John,

            Glover City Coal was owned by the Reading Railroad, they built many of
            these same silos all over the northeast.

          • Richard Finn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2010
              Hello Paul and Paul and all.

              Thanks for the memory.  Some personal history.

              Mr Ager's daughter, Patricia, and I were classmates GHS 1951.  And I remember the house on Broad St near my father's warehouse at #40.

              Dick

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              From: p.charlie@sympatico .ca
              Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:37:59 -0500