Box car roster

  • Jim Kelly's Heros
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
      Paul Charland reminded me that he posted a boxcar roster from 1980 to the Yahoo Group page. This link should work if you are logged into yahoo.

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QKJKSwlSfcJnfBkxswGXYVVZY-9Bpjt-dshnVfl5t4jeEh3Mu5hQJU0wasWCo-1beFxY8BCSz70yAZOZ5YM/ROLLING_STOCK/FJ%26G%201980%20FreightCarRoster.JPG

      If the link is too big, the file is in the ROLLING_STOCK folder.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
        The important part of that list is what is/was Flat car 34064 ?

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: fjgrailroad@...
        Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:43:32 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Box car roster

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2010
          Joe,

          I'm pretty sure it was some type of heavy-duty flatcar that saw service on the LASB.  I believe it was a six-axle flat, or a depressed center flat, or perhaps both.  I have photos somewhere; not sure where exactly.  I don't think it was ever on the FJ&G but who knows, someone could surprise me with knowledge or photos.

          What's interesting is that the flat car married up to the Burro crane is not listed.  This was FJ&G #24517 in later years; however I believe it was one of the original Bettendorf cars the FJ&G bought way, way back in the teens or twenties; perhaps earlier.

          -Aaron

          The important part of that list is what is/was Flat car 34064 ?

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: fjgrailroad@...
          Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:43:32 +0000

          Paul Charland reminded me that he posted a boxcar roster from 1980 to the Yahoo Group page. This link should work if you are logged into yahoo.

          http://f1.grp. yahoofs.com/ v1/QKJKSwlSfcJnf BkxswGXYVVZY- 9Bpjt-dshnVfl5t4 jeEh3Mu5hQJU0was WCo-1beFxY8BCSz7 0yAZOZ5YM/ ROLLING_STOCK/ FJ%26G%201980% 20FreightCarRost er.JPG

          If the link is too big, the file is in the ROLLING_STOCK folder.

        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
            I thought that those car registers only listed cars that were in active interchange. The blue ex DH ballast hoppers are not listed either. Those 2 flatcars were definitely captive. By the way, what ever happened to the blue ballast hoppers. I thought I remember them in Utica. Are they still there? Its also interesting how many of the DO alldoors had been changed to CACV by 1980.

            Regarding the 34064, it appears URHS of NJ has this car. Here is a write up from their site--they have a photo link on their site also.
            Builder: Pullman Standard
            Type: IL
            Model: 70 Ton Flat Car
            Built: 1957
            Original Owner: Boston & Maine Railroad
            History: In 1957 Pullman Standard built ninety Cars, numbers 34000 through 34089. They are 53 foot 6 inches in length, IL flats with a welded steel under frame, wood deck floor and roller bearing trucks. This car was purchased by the Delaware Otsego Corporation for the Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville with the same number. It was donated to the collection by the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway.

            I do not ever recall seeing this car running on the FJG.

            Aaron, with respect to the 2 old FJG flats (I think there were 2 left in the 70's) I seem to recall one or both being painted from black to yellow but I do not remember them getting lettered or numbered after repainting. I have to go back into my photos but I recall a picture of the yellow flat minus its decking hauling rail with the Burro crane. Did they ever put decking back on it? For some reason I thought those originally came from the B&O. Is that true? What was the number of the other original FJG flatcar? Does anyone know where those 2 flats ended up?

            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
              Re:  the two old flats.  The yellow one was scrapped in Gloversville.  The other is laying upside-down in the Verkliers junkyard near Mayfield.  The Verlkiers told Joe Klapkowski and I that the yellow car had cast iron parts (wheels and/or trucks) that needed to be broken apart rather than cut with a torch.  I don't believe the yellow car ever got a new deck; I have a photo of it here taken June 19, 1988, with no decking whatsoever.  I doubt any new deck installed in the 70s or 80s would have completely and entirely rotted away by that time.

              A few of us, myself included, suspect that those cars are the originals that the FJ&G had from way back when.  Photos of the trucks seem to indicate that they are the same cars.

              The yellow one was relettered and renumbered by DO, I do have photos here.  The lettering and numbering was done by hand with a can of spray paint.  Not too pretty, but it legally counts.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2010
                If I look really hard, and I mean I don't know where the photos are, I bet I have a bad photo of the flat with the burro crane sirtiing in Johnstown with at least part of the number visible......

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: jsesonske@...
                Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:09:49 +0000
                Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Box car roster-Flatcars