Broadalbin in the late 70's

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
      I had a few questions on Broadalbin.

      1..Did Fiber Coversion have their own siding or did they unload at the freight house.

      2..Was the sawdust plant part of Fiber Conversion or a seperate business. Did they have a siding? If I recall they had a fire at the plant. Was that the end or did they rebuild? You could always tell when a sawdust car came down as there was a trail of sawdust down the side of the tracks.

      3..When did Mohawk stop getting service into the plant on their side of the crossing? I am assuming that was at the latest the early 70's before DO but that is just a guess.

      4..I show a bunch of 40ft and 50ft Southern boxcars coming up to Broadalbin around from late 1979 into 1981. I believe these were for Fiber Conversion or were they furniture loads for Mohawk Furniture.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010

        John,

        Have you seen the photos of my Broadalbin Page?  The spur to Pinewood Sawdust is in one of the photos.  I believe DK Fibre loaded up at the freight house.  I know for a fact that the crossing to Mohawk Furniture was paved over by 1981.  I think Mark Wilbur told me that in his FJG employ, he never went to Mohawk Furniture and he started around 1977.

        Gino

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010

          John and others,

          I just noticed that I only uploaded 1 Broadalbin page to fjgrr.org.   Until I can fix it, I uploaded the whole Broadalbin Page in it's own folder that can be accessed by this link: http://web.me.com/gino.dicarlo/Broadalbin/

          The Pinewood Sawdust photos are on the last page!

          Gino