238 boxcars,

    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 25, 2009
      I have two articles about the FJ&G boxcar purchase from the Leader Herald in 1984. I will scan copies and forward them if you request them in an email.

      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 5, 2010
        Aaron,

        Thanks for uploading the boxcar info!  Great stuff!

        Gino

        On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

        The LOAM spreader was cut up where you last saw it, John; I believe it was scrapped in the summer of '89 by the Verkliers.

        A source of mine who played a key role at DO during those years once told me that the FJ&G put its name on cars still owned by PC, kind of like the way a kid with a can of spray paint can put his name on the side of a boxcar without actually owning it.  I guess anybody with a can of paint and a stencil can change the reporting marks of a car from PC to FJG.

        The same source claimed that PC finally figured out what was going on after it realized that its cars were going up to Gloversville but were not returning, and that FJG cars were appearing out of thin air for interchange... ironically carrying the same numbers as the missing PC cars, but with different reporting marks of course.

        Allegedly, the source said, that's how the transfer of the cars started.

        Who knows if it was really that sinister.  The transfer happened near the end of those cars' useful lives.  Friction bearing trucks were on their way out, as were 40-foot boxcars; most of those cars were all 40-footers.  A few were 50 feet long.  Maybe the FJ&G agreed to store the surplus cars for PC in return for ownership of some of the same.  Kind of like the way Guilford is supposedly using leased power on its trains right now in return for storage of same.  Helm or whoever owns the engines; it needs a place to store them as most railroads have no need for leased power right now (bad economy, downswing in traffic).  Anyway... Helm makes a deal with Guilford saying, "you take our engines and use them.   We won't charge you for using them if you won't charge us for storing them."  One hand washes the other.  Everybody comes out in the best situation possible given the current economy.

        Again, who knows if that's what happened with the PC, FJ&G cars, or not.  I'm just speculating and relaying what a "source" told me.

        http://fjgrr.org
        http://ginosrailpage.com
        http://ginostrolleypage.com
        http://ginosmusicservice.com