Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lumber and All Door Questions

  • Mark Wilber
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 24, 2009
      The black CACV All Door Cars were first used by a lumber company in Portlandville on the CACV. Matter of fact, there were postcards circulating of a CACV All-Door car being loaded in Portlandville.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 24, 2009
        Couldnt happen on a better day. Because of the derailment,we were home by the 2nd half of the game.

        First, does anyone know the story behind the black CACV All Door cars. Why did they initially have DH reporting marks but CACV heralds and why did CACV need them. Were they just per diem cars? I do not believe they were for originating loads on the CACV or were they. I think I initially remember them bringing some loads onto the FJG and then they ended up in the Broadalbin pool.

        Second, regarding the Broadalbin lumber business, this was just an open shed south of the station. Where was the lumber cut and who was doing it. Seemed like this operation just sprung up with little publicity and then disappeared just as quickly and quietly (at least as much as I remember). They did load a lot of cars while they were in business.

        Finally, does anyone know of any lettering diagrams in existence for the blue DO all doors?

      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2009
          As a follow up to my original questions....

          Gino, thanks for posting the LH alldoor article. Joe, can you post those 3 articles in the files section or does copyright not allow that? After reading the alldoor article (and reading the responses to my original post) I was wondering why they decided to put the lumber load facility in Broadalbin. While Broadalbin is closer to Lake George then Gville it would have been logistically easier for the FJG if they trucked the lumber to the G'ville yard for transload--or for that matter, why not just load direct on Conrail at Fonda (siding west of village that Keymark used occassionally) or Conrail West Albany transload? Maybe it had something to do with number of roundtrips a driver could make per shift to get the lumber to the railhead?

          Regarding those CACV black alldoors, I am still curious why they were originally painted with DH reporting marks and shields but Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley heralds. If they were originally DH cars why not have D&H spelled out on the cars. Just seems like an odd mix and can't recall other examples of cars being jointly painted for a class one and shortline. I realize they soon became pure CACV boxcars. The D&H Color Guide has a picture of the car in as delivered lettering.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2009

            My guess is the D&H used 'Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley' a lot like they used G&J on their equipment used

            on the G&J.  Even though they owned the CACV from around 1901 to 1972, they still put Cooperstown and

            blah, blah, blah on things.  In that same thread, I don't know if they ever put "Cherry Valley" on anything!

            Gino

          • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2009
              John I would say the reason for shipping with the FJ&G is they gave Martin Lumber the best shipping rate.Conrail was probebly higher on shipping charges than the D&H,The reason for Broadalbin as a shipping point could have been the FJ&G looking for longer ship rate as well?They could have loaded them in the west yard there was plenty of room or over by the Daniel Hayes Glove company.

              Steve Lamora

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2009
                It must have been something like that unless it was car availability since Conrail had no all doors. Of course the D&H did not have any either. I have no idea how rates worked back in the late 70's before rate deregulation. I know that after deregulation it should have been cheaper to avoid the FJG since Conrail still wants their cut once they got the cars in Fonda. In theory the FJG just adds another railroad looking for a portion of the rate or a larger rate to cover the extra railroad.