If it wasn't so funny it would be sad

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2009
      I was flagging today. We were running a couple miles an hour and stopping before we reached the crossing where I would flag with another individual.

      We have a 240,000 pound locomotive with working headlights, a nice loud airhorn and then there is me with a light and sign that says STOP. I am wearing a reflective orange coat. There is a traffic light (red) at the grade crossing and this guy is stopped with his bumper fouling the track. The engine is at the edge of the crossing. I get off the engine. I walk over to the side of the auto furthest from the train. The driver pretends not to see me. I bend over and point my light in the general direction of the engine which is stopped. I hold my hand up pretending to judge if the locomotive can make it past the stopped automobile.

      The driver who appears to have children in the car finally gets it and puts the car in reverse. I am not entirely certain that he actually looked in the rear view mirror first.

      I also had a driver realize that there was a train comming and they stopped ON THE GRADE CROSSING!

      You can't make this stuff up!

      By the way Scott, the 401 is running great! A little smokey in the cold morning but great after she warms up.

    • Erik Denny
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2009
        It's truly sad, but unfortunately this happens every day in any position
        involving the public. I'm in emergency services and we have the same
        issues be it the country road or the interstate we cover (now THAT is
        fun- NOT!).

        We could fill books with the tales of driver stupidity.

        ...erik

        On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, joseph Klapkowski wrote:

        > I was flagging today. We were running a couple miles an hour and stopping before we reached the crossing where I would flag with another individual.
        >

        > We have a 240,000 pound locomotive with working headlights, a nice loud airhorn and then there is me with a light and sign that says STOP. I am wearing a reflective orange coat. There is a traffic light (red) at the grade crossing and this guy is stopped with his bumper fouling the track. The engine is at the edge of the crossing. I get off the engine. I walk over to the side of the auto furthest from the train. The driver pretends not to see me. I bend over and point my light in the general direction of the engine which is stopped. I hold my hand up pretending to judge if the locomotive can make it past the stopped automobile.
        >

        > The driver who appears to have children in the car finally gets it and puts the car in reverse. I am not entirely certain that he actually looked in the rear view mirror first.
        >

        > I also had a driver realize that there was a train comming and they stopped ON THE GRADE CROSSING!
        >

        > You can't make this stuff up!
        >

        > By the way Scott, the 401 is running great! A little smokey in the cold morning but great after she warms up.
      • Mark Wilber
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
          I've been at crossings at night with fusee's (flares) in my hand waving it back and forth,and still have cars that try's to run me over.Next time someone does it,I dropping my fusee on top of their hood!

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
            Yes that works.  Could require a bit of explanation because it will surely get back to the office if the fusee gets caught between the wiper and the hood edge (hopefully).  As an explanation: "The darn thing slipped out of my hand as I jumped out of the way.  Wondered where it went."

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: mwilber2001@...
            Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:19:37 -0800

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
              Mark,

              Tell us about school buses beating the train on the FJ&G!

              Gino

              Sent from my iPhone