RE: [FJGRailroad] A 'powerful' question

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2009
      The Mountain lake was a stand alone company, "loosely" affiliated with the Ballston terminal who clearly had the intent to compete with the FJ&G on their own territory.  As a result they needed their own source of power choosing to build their plant at the foot of the mountain.  Coal was hauled in wagons to the plant from the Kingsboro Avenue team track.  As soon as the FJ&G took financial control they connected to the FJ&G source at Tribes Hill, dismantled the power house and sold the equipment.

      The Cayadutta power house on Comrie avenue was located on the original "main" track of the CERR.  After the operation sugared out the intended main route became the back line, used exclusively for work, special moves and coal to the power plant.  The Cayadutta had the little Forney style steam locomotive "Mamie" which they used for work trains and to haul coal to their power plant, the hair mill on Harrison street (Parkhurst's in later years).  I know of no other place where the CE or electric division may have hauled freight, that is on the original electric line.  When the Mamie wasn't available one of the regular cars or the baggage car (50) served as a freight motor.  Home built motor No. 1 was constructed in 1903 to be the principal handler of coal, work trains and the occasional car for Parkhurst.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: gdavis4@...
      Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:23:09 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] A 'powerful' question

      Do I hear groans?
      I am curious, why did the Mountain Lake line have its power house up on the mountain without direct rail access for coal? Didn't they know that electricity could be transmitted over a wire?
      A similar question, how did coal get to the Comry Ave, powerhouse in Johnstown?
      Gordon

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2009
        One facet of the electrification saga which I know little about is the shutdown of Tribes Hill and the connection of the FJ&G to the Ighams Mills power project.  Has anyone gone very far in their research of this area?

        I believe a photo of Ingham's Mills was in the freight house safe when the building came down.  Maybe not.  I'm getting old and clearly feeble minded.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 21, 2009

          When the Igham Mills station (East Creek EL&P) was put on line, 1912, the Tribes Hill plant began its service as an auxiliary power source..  Maintained and upgraded as necessary hydro power  from Ingham Mills provided the primary source.  East Creek supplied both the FJ&G system and their Edison EL&PCo. of Amsterdam subsidiary.  Notice the connection with the Edison companies who were influencial in the decision to construct the Cayadutta ERR.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: akeller_1979@...
          Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:30 -0800
          Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] A 'powerful' question

          One facet of the electrification saga which I know little about is the shutdown of Tribes Hill and the connection of the FJ&G to the Ighams Mills power project.  Has anyone gone very far in their research of this area?

          I believe a photo of Ingham's Mills was in the freight house safe when the building came down.  Maybe not.  I'm getting old and clearly feeble minded.

        • Malcolm Horton
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 21, 2009
            Somewhere I have a photograph of the interior of the Ingham Mills statiion. In addition the the main (vertical shaft) generators, it shows a horizontal shaft frequency changer motor-generator set which looks like itt was big enough to power the F J and G trolley load. This set would make 25 Hertz power from locally generated 60 Hertz power and transmit it to Tribes Hill. If the Ingham Mills power failed, locally generated 25 Hertz power at Tribes Hill would have to take over. Hence Tribes Hill power would have to be instantly available at all times. To remain indepent of Tribes Hill power, new 60 hertz synchronous converters would have to be installed at Johstown, Amsterdam and Glenville to make the 600 volt direct current needed by the trolleys. When this was eventually done, Tribes Hill could then be abandonned.

            A book entitled "Lure of the Valley" by Anson Getman, describes his work as a lawyer in getting a right-of-way for the power transmission line from Ingham Mills to Tribes Hill.

            Malcolm Horton

            To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
            From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
            Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:30 -0800

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 21, 2009
              Tribes Hill was used as auxiliary actually providing power until near the end of 1917 when it became standby power.  The plant was maintained ready for sevice but not used often if at all until the close of business.  IN 1917 the FJ&G sold their interest in the Edison Light and Power Company to interests who owned the East Creek EL&P Co. who then merged and consolidated until Adir. P&L was formed on July 23, 1920.  The FJ&G made a lot of money and left the power generation business.  Should it be necessary to fire up the Tribes Hill plant the new power company paid the FJ&G cost plus 10% for the power supplied.  Important to note that J. Ledlie Hees was President of Adirondack Light and Power.

              By July 1920 there was no more 25 cycle power developed by the affiliated power companies; it waseither 60 or 40 cycle.

              Do not have any knowledge off the top of my head concerning the change over of the FJ&G equipment from 25 cycle motors, if it happened, or how they dealt with it.  Do know that the AP&L supplied the power for UTC, SRy.,FJ&G, and the Utica-Oneida division of NYSRys.

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: mdhorton@...
              Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:53 -0500

              To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
              From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
              Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:30 -0800

              One facet of the electrification saga which I know little about is the shutdown of Tribes Hill and the connection of the FJ&G to the Ighams Mills power project.  Has anyone gone very far in their research of this area?

              I believe a photo of Ingham's Mills was in the freight house safe when the building came down.  Maybe not.  I'm getting old and clearly feeble minded.

              Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
            • Fjgrailroad

                From: mdhorton@msn. com
                Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:53 -0500

                To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
                From: akeller_1979@yahoo.com
                Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:30 -0800

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 22, 2009
                  I'm sorry, as I re-read my post from too late at night or early in the morning, I realized it is somewhat disjointed.  The Tribes Hill steam power plant served both the FJ&G and the Edison Light and Power Co. of Amsterdam, an FJ&G subsidiary.  When the East Creek Electric Light & Power Co. built their Ingham Mills hydro plant the power generated therefrom was largely for benefit of the FJ&G.  Between 1912 and 1918 the Tribes Hill plant assumed less and less a role in providing power to the system.  In October 1917 the FJ&G and EC amended their contract whereby the Tribes Hill plant no longer was required to furnish power to the EC as an auxiliary but thereafter functioned as a stand-by source for power.  All power needed by the FJ&G and its subsidiaries originated with EC.  In the meantime EC made cooperative arrangements with the Utica G&E (?)

                  Spier Falls was constructed in 1903 by Eugene Ashley and company.  This company developed several power sources in the upper Hudson region preceding and during 1903.  The economic and other obstacles to these constructions resulted in failure of many small companies concluding with the formation of the Adirondack Electric Power Corp. in 1912.

                  GE built the plants on the Hoosic river at Schaghicoke and Johnsonville with a transmission line direct to GE.  These two hydro plants later supplied the power for the city of Schenectady and the Schenectady Ry. Co.  The city and Ry. prior to that change in source were receiving their power from Schenectady Illuminating Co.  In 1919 things in the industry began to gel.  First, the Edison Electric Light & Power Co. of Amsterdam changed its name to Mohawk Edison Co.  Soon after the Schenectady Illuminating Co. merged Mohawk Gas, the East Creek EL&PCo and the Schenectady Power Co.  On the heels of this merger the Schenectady Illuminating Co. merged with Mohawk Edison Co. Inc. as the Mohawk Edison Co. Inc., wholly owned by the GE Co.

                  July 23, 1920 the Mohawk Edison Co. Inc. consolidated the properties and business of their company with those of the Adirondack Electric Power Corp forming the Adirondack Power & Light. Now all the power generation in this section of NY State was in the control of GE.  J. Ledlie Hees was the president of this company.

                  Spier Falls and Ingham Mills were two of nine hydro plants in the system.  So you are correct that power was supplied from Spier Falls to the city and railway named Schenectady.  As the companies changed and reformed the power source shifted to the plants on the Hoosic and perhaps also Mechanicville located along that distribution line.  It is interesting to note that when the Amsterdam Steam plant became fully functional, 80,000 h.p, in 1924 it had the capability of delivering 40% of the total capacity of the AP&LCo.

                  Was that a better explanation?  Source is the 1924 annual report of the Adirondack Power and Light Co. and East Creek/FJ&G contracts of 1911 and 1917 covering their relationship.

                  The common thread of the development of electricity generation, distribution and function, from my perspective as a rail historian, is the influence of Edison, Westinghouse, Insull and others in the organization and construction of the many electric city and interurban rail lines in our region (and country).   Of course the industrial growth of the region loomed significantly larger (an understatement) in the plans of these men to provide power, control equipment and motors necessary to its use.

                  PKL

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                  From: mdhorton@msn. com
                  Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:53 -0500

                  To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 22, 2009

                    Spier Falls was initially built as a 40 Hertz plant.

                    Mal Horton

                    From: mdhorton@msn. com
                    Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:53 -0500

                    To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com