Plow

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
      There is a plow in Binghamton on the NYSW that looks like the B&M plow that was on the FJ&G. It does not have any initials but it does have a builder's plate with the builder's number R1291.

      While a bit offtopic, I traveled the old Erie today between Deposit and Binghamton. First let me say what a grade east of Deposit. Second let me say that the CNY got the Erie main with sidings and there are a lot of cars stored on the sidings east of Bing. Both TTX intermodal flats and NYSW ex BAR woodchip cars that have been sitting a while. There are trees growing out of one of them. By the way the mainline has nice shiney rails. It doesn't look abandoned......

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
        Joe,

        Interesting, did it have the square cupola, or was it curved?  The NYS&W had a couple plows, one ex- MEC, one ex- USAF, etc.

        Am curious because I thought the ex- B&M, FJ&G #202 was scrapped on site in Utica sometime in the early or mid 2000s.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 13, 2009
          Here's a better question, was it burned out Joe?  The last I saw it in 2004 it was after it got burned out by vandals.

          Gino

          http://fjgrr.org
          http://ginosrailpage.com
          http://ginostrolleypage.com
          http://ginosmusicservice.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2009
            It looked exactly like the B&M plow....yellow but no reporting marks or number.

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2009
              Better not be abandond,I just brought a train in this morning at 4:00am from NJ.

              There is a plow in Binghamton on the NYSW that looks like the B&M plow that was on the FJ&G. It does not have any initials but it does have a builder's plate with the builder's number R1291.

              While a bit offtopic, I traveled the old Erie today between Deposit and Binghamton. First let me say what a grade east of Deposit. Second let me say that the CNY got the Erie main with sidings and there are a lot of cars stored on the sidings east of Bing. Both TTX intermodal flats and NYSW ex BAR woodchip cars that have been sitting a while. There are trees growing out of one of them. By the way the mainline has nice shiney rails. It doesn't look abandoned... ...

            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2009
                Regarding the plow, the Russell on the FJG was a double track plow built to throw snow to one side only. The other NYSW plows are single track V plows. So that would be one indication if it was the former FJG plow. Last I knew it was in Utica in very bad shape but that was long ago.

                Regarding the Southern Tier, it was double track all the way from CP SR to CP Deposit when the NYSW got it but I believe the double is now only from CP Lanesboro (west end Starrucca) to CP SR. The grade is Gulf Summit grade and I think you meant west of Deposit and in EL and early Conrail days it was a pusher district from SR to Deposit.