DO Discussion

    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 29, 2009
      Lots of discussion tonight; very good.

      Re:  the NYS&W.  The FJ&G saw substantial investment even after the NYS&W was running.  The annual reports detail this.

      Re:  the economic status of the FJ&G.  We also need to remember that Karg stopped shipping.  Paul Larner can jump in here, but keep in mind that the Reagan administration deregulated the trucking industry in the 80s and that opened the door for many smaller businesses to start trucking and henceforth to stop moving products by rail.  That was the death knell for many lines in the 80s.

      Re:  the FJ&G shutting down.  Ron Crowd told me that he examined the FJ&G and determined very quickly that the line would not stay afloat.  If Ron couldn't make it work, as frugal as he was... then, I'm sorry, but no one could have made it work.  The Batten Kill survives on more than just the hard work of a few dedicated employees.  It also survives because it has a steady customer that orders between three and 15 cars a week.  The FJ&G couldn't have survived on one or two cars every two months.

      Re:  the plastics continuing on to Coleco.  Gino is correct; not enough traffic there to warrant a 15-mile railroad.

      -Aaron
      __,

      http://mail.yahoo.com