Re: [FJGRailroad] Mountain Lake Mystery Photos - Solved

  • Fjgrailroad
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
      More private property to explore next year?
      I'm also sure I've spotted the foundation for the
      Power House on Bing maps.  The spot where
      The ladies were walking with parasols, still
      Private property, or close to Strawberry Hill?

      Gino

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

      Good evening;

      The photo up for debate at Saturday's get-together was the photo of what was purported to be a Mountain Lake car passing a lake. I have determined that the "lake" is not Mountain Lake, but rather the Rice Reservoir, where we first stopped after entering water works property.

      The shape of Rice Reservoir as it existed then very closely conforms to the body of water as it exists today... however... the shape is NOT exactly the same since the reservoir and water works were "improved" in 1935. The original reservoir appears to be about 20 feet lower. Comparing photos I took of the reservoir, looking back towards the reservoir from the large curve in the roadbed, my photos conform to the contours of the body of water in the historical image.

      Rice Reservoir either did not exist, or is not shown, in the 1903 USGS 15-minute quadrangle which Gino graciously provided in his packet at the meeting... however... it did exist before the publication of the Fourth Annual Report of the State Water Supply Commission in 1908-1909. That puts it in the right time frame; the railroad was operating after the reservoir was built.

      (The Water Supply Commission report also contains hints at damming up the Scandaga, including at Conklingville, and there is a photo of Conklingville from the period:)
      http://books.google.com/ books?id= pp1WAAAAMAAJ& pg=PP1#v= onepage&q= &f=false

      Case closed. The photo shows a car heading north along the reservoir.

      I suspect that the shot showing the ladies walking along the line with parasols in hand was taken at the 90-degree curve much further below the reservoir. The tracks there entered a col between the hills, then followed a small stream bed to where the line joined Phelps Street. It is the only L-shaped curve on the railroad where the tracks enter a small col. The only other L-shaped curve on the railroad was where the line swung east after leaving the Mountain Lake straightaway. But there it was atop a hill... certainly not entering a col between the hills. So... I suspect that shot is of the portion of the line we did not get to see.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2009
        The ladies with the parasols are on the ROW very close to the Lake station.  That image is from a postcard.  The women in the photo Saturday have only their hats to protect them from the weather, if that's the image you have in mind.  It appears to be below the watershed property a not unreasonable belief considering the background.  We'll get in there one day to verify.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com