Re: [FJGRailroad] Mountain Lake Electric

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2009
      Gino,

      I second that.  This may have been among the best get-togethers we've ever had!  What a great time!

      Upon looking over my 1902 photos of the site... it is very clear the rock by the derailment site has gone untouched... and the much smaller pyramid-shaped rock just above the big rock it is the same rock two ladies with dresses and parasols posed on while viewing the derailment the day it occurred.

      This might be a bit of a stretch... but the very large wire we found at the derailment site itself may in fact be visible in one of the photos I've obtained of the derailment.

      The wire we found near the tight curve at the top of the mountain is a support wire that held the insulator in place at the end of the trolley poles.  I have a tight shot of a Mountain Lake Electric trolley pole here and clearly that exact type of wire is what we found.

      The view Paul showed in the meeting with people hanging off the open car was at the culvert near the top of the mountain.  I captured a view that superimposes over the old view in as precise a fashion as possible.

      The view Paul showed of people walking down the right of way, with umbrellas and etc., is most likely the curve below the water works property.  The line pulled a right angle type curve, to the left while heading downhill, and went into a col between the hills.  I did not see any curve on our sojourn that would have matched the angle of the curve or the topography.

      Given the number of people strolling, I wonder if that view was taken the day of the derailment, as people walked up to get a glimpse.

      The view Paul showed of the tight curve, with a large wooden box stationed on the left hand side of the tracks, appears to be the hairpin curve at the top of the mountain; the curve where the collision, but not the derailment, occurred.

      What do you think?

      -Aaron

    • Fjgrailroad
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2009
        Aaron,

        Did you stay up all night studying the photos?
        I think so many of the views we took in yesterday
        Seem very familiar looking at the old views. I
        Am still on cloud 9 over the trip.  Now I know
        Why they built that line in the first place.  The
        View was gorgeous and we got a good taste of
        What they saw 100 years ago.

        The whole get together was out of this world!
        Paul's Mountain Lake presentation was great.
        One of his best jobs to date!  I can't wait for his
        Next book for the creation of the trolley lines!

        I propose another fall get together for next year.
        The weather was perfect and the scenery out
        Of this world.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2009
          With all this Mountain Lake excitement in recent days, I finally added to the page I have on FJGRR.org.
          I also added some non-crash photos and my postcard collection.  Give it a look when you get a chance.
          Also, visit the rest of the site as you'll see I've been changing things around here and there.  More to
          come...