Mountain Lake Electric

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2009
      What a great day.  Since I moved to Gloversville in 1982 I have always been curious of the Mountain Lake Electric Railroad.
      Ever since I read the news reports of the wreck and the loss of 14 lives, I've always wanted to explore the Right-Of-Way.
      The biggest problem being the fact that 85 % of the ROW is on private property.  Not only private, but also the property
      of the Gloversville Water Department, complete with barbed-wire fence around the whole property.  Not very good chances
      for exploring, and believe me finding an opening in the fence has crossed my mind.

      Today, that no longer matters.  Members of our FJ&G Railroad Group were given access and a tour up the ROW.  In all my
      life I never thought that I would scene of one of the worst railroad-accidents in The USA.  If you'd like to see photos of our

      Not the best, but they're in order from the top of the mountain to the bottom...

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2009
        Gino,

        I second that.  This may have been among the best get-togethers we've ever had!  What a great time!

        Upon looking over my 1902 photos of the site... it is very clear the rock by the derailment site has gone untouched... and the much smaller pyramid-shaped rock just above the big rock it is the same rock two ladies with dresses and parasols posed on while viewing the derailment the day it occurred.

        This might be a bit of a stretch... but the very large wire we found at the derailment site itself may in fact be visible in one of the photos I've obtained of the derailment.

        The wire we found near the tight curve at the top of the mountain is a support wire that held the insulator in place at the end of the trolley poles.  I have a tight shot of a Mountain Lake Electric trolley pole here and clearly that exact type of wire is what we found.

        The view Paul showed in the meeting with people hanging off the open car was at the culvert near the top of the mountain.  I captured a view that superimposes over the old view in as precise a fashion as possible.

        The view Paul showed of people walking down the right of way, with umbrellas and etc., is most likely the curve below the water works property.  The line pulled a right angle type curve, to the left while heading downhill, and went into a col between the hills.  I did not see any curve on our sojourn that would have matched the angle of the curve or the topography.

        Given the number of people strolling, I wonder if that view was taken the day of the derailment, as people walked up to get a glimpse.

        The view Paul showed of the tight curve, with a large wooden box stationed on the left hand side of the tracks, appears to be the hairpin curve at the top of the mountain; the curve where the collision, but not the derailment, occurred.

        What do you think?

        -Aaron

      • Fjgrailroad
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2009
          Aaron,

          Did you stay up all night studying the photos?
          I think so many of the views we took in yesterday
          Seem very familiar looking at the old views. I
          Am still on cloud 9 over the trip.  Now I know
          Why they built that line in the first place.  The
          View was gorgeous and we got a good taste of
          What they saw 100 years ago.

          The whole get together was out of this world!
          Paul's Mountain Lake presentation was great.
          One of his best jobs to date!  I can't wait for his
          Next book for the creation of the trolley lines!

          I propose another fall get together for next year.
          The weather was perfect and the scenery out
          Of this world.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2009
            With all this Mountain Lake excitement in recent days, I finally added to the page I have on FJGRR.org.
            I also added some non-crash photos and my postcard collection.  Give it a look when you get a chance.
            Also, visit the rest of the site as you'll see I've been changing things around here and there.  More to
            come...