Markers

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2009
      This is a shameless plug.

      Today I was on duty at 10:30 am as Conductor on the local tourist railroad. I brought a mis-matched pair of working marker lamps with me and lit them on the platform while two of our younger guests watched. We then hung the lanterns to make sure they were turned the proper direction so that red would be shown to the rear.
      Then I removed the markers, as we back up one way during our trip.

      Upon arrival at the other end of the line, I rehung the markers. I stood thirty feet or so from the rear and admired the red lenses flickering under the rainy skies. I was pleased at my decision to bring the markers.

      After our second arrival at our turning terminal I repeated the proceedure. The other Conductor asked why I was going through the whole process of hanging the marker and then going back to make sure the red lense was illuminated and visible.

      I thought for a moment. "Well this is the way it used to be done", I remarked.
      "And because I can."

      Here comes the shameless plug.......

      Today was a light day on the railroad due to the weather. I am aware that at least one other tourist railroad had a disappointing day.

      The tourist railroad season is at a peak and also coming to an end. NOW is the time to put your railfan money where your mouth is and do something positive.

      GO OUT AND RIDE the nearest tourist railroad! Your fare supports the purchase of diesel fuel, restoration of equipment and possibly even helps purchase a few used relay ties that a volunteer trackworker will install in the track.

      As a volunteer, the worst thing that can happen is not having passengers show up to ride the train. It is the one thing that can make even a dedicated volunteer feel a little dejected.

      RIDE THE RAILS!

      End of commercial.

      Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now