Re: Just Added 5 New Photos in My File

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2009
      Thanks Gino. I always liked the salt business as I am a fan of the older salt hoppers in the green Cargill Salt scheme and the Sterling Salt cars. The Cargills were common on the FJG. I thought the salt ran until closer to the shutdown as it was a good deal for the city.

      I am sure Mark can attest to what a pain the salt cars were. I saw several derailments involving the lead into the shed including one that knocked some of the brick off the entrance. I believe they single tracked the shed after one of the derailments.

      I remember them dumping salt, some coal, and clay in the sheds in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember several coal cars including D&H cars. The clay came in Southern cars usually.

      John